For Those Of You That Are Home Bakers And Don't Have A Storefront...

Business By BakerBee7468 Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 1:50am by kisamarie

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 49

I'm trying to think of ways that customers can come pick up their orders if they want to. For those that don't want to pay a delivery charge but since i don't have a store front and bake at home, i wont allow customers to come to my house to pick them up, nor would i want everyone knowing where i live anyway. Do any of you have places where customers can pick up their orders? do you meet them somewhere public close to where you live, do u rent a workspace? I was thinking i would just meet them somewhere around where i live but i was trying to think of better options.

48 replies
embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 49

A friend of mine who doesn't have a storefront meets people at a local business like a coffee shop or at the venue itself.  Once it leaves her hands, she's no longer responsible for it, and has this spelled out in her contract.,

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 49

I let them pick up at my house. I don't have my address published on websites and such. I email them my address after they've paid in full. But I'm primarily commenting on this thread to see how other home bakers handle pick-ups.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 49

AMany cottage food laws require a label that includes either the baker's home address or a license number that is linked to the baker's home address.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 49

For legal reason's i also wont allow customers to pick up their orders. If a customer comes to your house and something happens like they get injured or something you're liable. So for liability reasons as well as not wanting them all to know where i live i wont allow that. Also in my state i have to have an address posted.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 49

A

Original message sent by BakerBee7468

For legal reason's i also wont allow customers to pick up their orders. If a customer comes to your house and something happens like they get injured or something you're liable.

That's what business liability insurance is for.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 49

Exactly. My state's food cottage laws and well as laws for licensed bakers have to have a label with an address and name of the business on their products. I have no problem getting a business address for my business different to post on websites and on labels but I've been thinking i want a consistent place that people can pick up orders.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 49

I'm delivery only, unless it's for cupcakes, since I really only do wedding cakes and wholesale cupcakes. If you have a business license, it's easy to find your address online though, so I don't worry about being too secretive about that.

If they had to walk into my actual home, I don't think I would allow anyone to come though. That would just make me uncomfortable.

The only reason I don't publish it much is because I don't want people thinking they can walk in and buy pre-made cake.

I know a lot of home based bakers will choose a coffee shop nearby to do consults and pick-ups though.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 49

A

Exactly. My state's food cottage laws and well as laws for licensed bakers have to have a label with an address and name of the business on their products. I have no problem getting a business address for my business different to post on websites and on labels but I've been thinking i want a consistent place that people can pick up orders.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...does your label include an address that's not the address of your home bakery?

sixinarow Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBee7468 

How can you get an address that is different from where you actually do the baking? Isn't the point so the health dept can track any outbreaks or inspect as needed? I guess I'm confused on that part. 

I understand not wanting people to just drop by, but if they know your name, they can google you and find out your phone number and address, especially if you're listed in the phone book.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

That's what business liability insurance is for.

yes i know, but i also don't need a customer showing up at my door unexpectedly for any number of reasons

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 49

I am pretty sure the address you have to label with is where you are licensed to bake, it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this...does your label include an address that's not the address of your home bakery?

I would have a business address that's not the address of my home. Such as a po box or there are workspaces here for rent that provide you with a business address.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 49

Can you get a big "By Appointment Only, No Exceptions, Even If You Think You Are My Most Important Customer" sign made to hang over your door?!

I've heard people on here meet in coffee shops and some rent office space which they share with others. 

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:59pm
post #15 of 49

A

yes i know, but i also don't need a customer showing up at my door unexpectedly for any number of reasons

That makes sense...you don't need to necessarily publish your address on your web site, but you can follow sixinarow's advice and send your home address once they've already paid.

If a customer who has ordered from you in the past saves your address and happens to drop by unannounced, you can simply answer the door and tell them your business is by appointment only. Or just ignore them.

This happened to us a few times before we changed the address listed on our Yelp listing from our home address to our commercial kitchen address.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 49

A

I would have a business address that's not the address of my home. Such as a po box or there are workspaces here for rent that provide you with a business address.

If you do this, you might run into trouble down the road and could potentially lose your cottage food license. Your home address must be listed on the label so if there is an issue with your food the customer can contact the health dept and provide them the label. The health dept could then go to the address listed on the label and do an inspection. If this happens (which is unlikely but still a possibility) the health dept would be less than pleased if the address is a PO Box or turns out to be a fake workspace.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 49

In my state, you have to put the name of the business and the business address, it doesnt have to be my name or my personal address unless i didnt have a business name and was a cottage food operation since cottage food operations don't have to have a license or be a registered business. Since i'm going the route to be a registered legal business I'll use my business's name and address for all labels and public postings. Before I become official i'll ask but i've seen some people not put their home address on the labels

sixinarow Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:

In my state, you have to put the name of the business and the business address, it doesnt have to be my name or my personal address unless i didnt have a business name and was a cottage food operation since cottage food operations don't have to have a license or be a registered business. Since i'm going the route to be a registered legal business I'll use my business's name and address for all labels and public postings. Before I become official i'll ask but i've seen some people not put their home address on the labels

This is what I found on google. It may be different in your state, but be sure to check or you may get into trouble with the health department and state.

Do I have to include my home address on my product labeling or is a post 
office box sufficient? You must use the physical address of your home kitchen 
on your product label, not a post office box. The purpose of including an address 
on product labels is to be able to locate the business in case of a recall or traceback associated with a foodborne illness complaint or outbreak. The Cottage Food 
guidance document specifies that the name and address of the business of the 
Cottage Food Operation must be included on the label.
DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 49

I have my cottage food. the lovely lady at the HD calls every other month or so to see if i have questions and asks about how my business is doing. (super sweet i know!!!!!) she told me i dont have to have my address listed on my products as long as my phone number is listed in the phonebook. for items i sell at farmers markets it does NOT list my address. For the labels I place on special orders it does. I have had no problems with pick ups last month I had almost all pick ups (about 15) this month everyone is willing to pay delivery. If they need to come during hours that i am at work or not home the pick up spot is my grandparents house a few blocks over. ive been luck not to get wackos as clients but i understand your caution. 

DisneyDreamer Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:31pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:

In my state you have to have a business license before you can get your cottage food. 

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:

If you do this, you might run into trouble down the road and could potentially lose your cottage food license. Your home address must be listed on the label so if there is an issue with your food the customer can contact the health dept and provide them the label. The health dept could then go to the address listed on the label and do an inspection. If this happens (which is unlikely but still a possibility) the health dept would be less than pleased if the address is a PO Box or turns out to be a fake workspace.

Since i have to get a health inspection before i can even get a license in the first place, I don't see them being surprised at all. I will bring this up to them and see what they say. I was thinking they would have my personal address on file for necessary inspections and  my posted business address used for the public so if they ever happened to be an "issue" they know exactly where to go. since this isnt specified on my state's website, if they say i can do it, then i'll go on ahead and go with my original idea, if they say my address where i bake has to be posted then i'll have to think about what my next steps will be. I just know i'll get customers showing up at my door wanting cupcakes at a moments notice or to complain or whatever and i don't want that.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:43pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer 

In my state you have to have a business license before you can get your cottage food. 

In my state people don't need a license if they are sell non hazardous foods, which is anything that doesnt need to be refrigerated or need any kind of temperature control and is shelf stable, such as cookies, popcorn etc. Also people can't sell anything outside of my state without a license, so even non hazardous foods can't be sold without a license if the person wanted to sell those foods online. If i wanted to sell at stores, farmers markets then i would also need to get a vendors license as well as a baker license.

BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:54pm
post #23 of 49

Thanks everyone for the input, please continue with your thoughts....

DisneyDreamer Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:40pm
post #24 of 49
Quote:

Since i have to get a health inspection before i can even get a license in the first place, I don't see them being surprised at all. I will bring this up to them and see what they say. I was thinking they would have my personal address on file for necessary inspections and  my posted business address used for the public so if they ever happened to be an "issue" they know exactly where to go. since this isnt specified on my state's website, if they say i can do it, then i'll go on ahead and go with my original idea, if they say my address where i bake has to be posted then i'll have to think about what my next steps will be. I just know i'll get customers showing up at my door wanting cupcakes at a moments notice or to complain or whatever and i don't want that.you are 

wow your required a inspection, will it be a once a year thing after the first inspection??? That was my fear when i got mine was the inspection just because my house is old and my oven is from 1950 :) 

I do understand the fear of people showing up and wanting orders asap. I have always been very vocal about pre orders only!!! I've got my customers trained they know 24 hrs for a simple cake (nothing carved or fondant) or cupcakes. 72 for most other orders. Im very firm on that because if you give a moose a muffin he will want jam. 

Good luck to you with your health dept. I hope you get a lady or man at HD ad sweet as mine and that all goes the way you want/ need it to!! icon_biggrin.gif

BakerBee7468 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:10am
post #25 of 49

A

Original message sent by DisneyDreamer

wow your required a inspection, will it be a once a year thing after the first inspection??? That was my fear when i got mine was the inspection just because my house is old and my oven is from 1950 :) 

I do understand the fear of people showing up and wanting orders asap. I have always been very vocal about pre orders only!!! I've got my customers trained they know 24 hrs for a simple cake (nothing carved or fondant) or cupcakes. 72 for most other orders. Im very firm on that because if you give a moose a muffin he will want jam. 

Good luck to you with your health dept. I hope you get a lady or man at HD ad sweet as mine and that all goes the way you want/ need it to!! :D

Thanks, there are several things not addressed on my state's website. It doesn't say how often health inspections occur. With commercial places I just thought they would show up at random times with no notice of when they were coming or give little notice like a day or maybe a few hrs. With home bakers I don't know, the license is only valid through September of every yr here so I'm sure an inspection every time you want it renewed and whenever other times they'll give it. I do hope I get somebody nice though to answer all my additional questions I have now..

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:13am
post #26 of 49

AWhat state do you live in Baker Bee? If you don't mind me asking.

I am a licensed homebased baker, I have a separate kitchen. I do mostly deliveries but I do have people over for consultations and allow them to see my workspace (it has my decorated cake dummies). Everything is setup as appointment only-people know I work from home so they always call. I've never had a problem with it.

Another girl with a similar setup has designated dates and times for pickups (sat-mon). This wouldn't really work for me or my customers.

Smckinney07 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #27 of 49

AI always get a heads up for inspections, most restaraunts in my area do too (the ones I've worked at anyway).

BakerBee7468 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:31am
post #28 of 49

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

What state do you live in Baker Bee? If you don't mind me asking.

I am a licensed homebased baker, I have a separate kitchen. I do mostly deliveries but I do have people over for consultations and allow them to see my workspace (it has my decorated cake dummies). Everything is setup as appointment only-people know I work from home so they always call. I've never had a problem with it.

Another girl with a similar setup has designated dates and times for pickups (sat-mon). This wouldn't really work for me or my customers.

I live in ohio. I'm not comfortable with ppl coming to my home, another reason I wanted a separate workspace is so that I can have in person meetings with people. I have put a lot of thought into having the initial meetings at places like coffee shops and just having them pick up at the same place, but I dunno. I'm very analytical so I tend to over think things...

Smckinney07 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:51am
post #29 of 49

AI understand over thinking things :)

Your cottage law seems like one of the more flexible laws-but it does require you to label items with your product name, business name and address, ingredients, net weight, allergens, and the statement "This product was home produced".

Your best bet is to speak with your city Health department and explain your concerns.

BakerBee7468 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #30 of 49

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

I understand over thinking things :)

Your cottage law seems like one of the more flexible laws-but it does require you to label items with your product name, business name and address, ingredients, net weight, allergens, and the statement "This product was home produced".

Your best bet is to speak with your city Health department and explain your concerns.

Yes I know, thanks. I lucked out on living in a state that isn't as strict as other states.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%