Question About Fallen/sunken Cake??? Mystery....!!

Decorating By JoR9 Updated 25 Aug 2013 , 2:03pm by MimiFix

JoR9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoR9 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I have been hobby baking for years and had something happen to me yesterday that I've never seen before so maybe someone can give me some insight on what could have went wrong. I baked a layer cake and used the exact same set-up (i.e. same brand of pans, parchment paper on bottom, greasing of pans, etc). I placed them in the oven next to each other but with enough space in between for air to circulate and get an even bake. I have 2 oven thermometers that I place right in front of the cakes  so I know the oven temp is exactly what I need it to be and constant throughout baking. One of the cakes turned out beautifully. Completely done throughout, beautifully risen, and just that perfect cake. The other was overbaked on one side, underbaked on another, and had deflated in the middle. I am very thorough in incorporating all of my ingredients and this was from the same batter the other cake was from so I have no idea what happened here. I am just stumped. I used the pans on a cake two days before that and no problems with those cakes so I don't believe it could be the pan causing the issue. Any ideas? It's just really bugging me because I can't for the life of me figure this one out! 

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 4

sounds like your oven has a hot spot.  Is it convection?

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 4

My guess would be the oven.  I have found that my oven is hotter towards the back than the front, so I rotate my baking pans.  That will have to do until I can get a new oven.  By the way, it is easier/quicker to check this by baking cookies.  My son didn't mind when I was testing the oven temp. icon_biggrin.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 4

I agree, your oven has uneven heat. You can check for hot spots by baking cookies. But quicker and easier, line a tray with canned biscuits or white bread and watch the browning pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%