Cake Board Help!

Decorating By Carabella Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 11:37pm by Carabella

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 7:52am
post #1 of 13

AHey everyone! I'm new here but I've been hanging around for a while and I am truly inspired by all of you! I know my question is one that's been going on in different forms for ages but I'm still really confused, so I'm really sorry if its silly. I want to cover my cake boards with paper then clear contact paper but I'm still not sure if its safe as there is so many " yes and no's " My cake would be on its own cake board but what do you do for the borders if you have any? Thank you so much all in advance.

12 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 13

I have ever done it but it is discussed in this thread...http://cakecentral.com/t/762716/cake-boards-opinions-discuss/15#post_7434950 SO I would say YES

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 13

AThanks Batterupcake! I read through the post but it doesn't say anything on the safety and placement of the cake. Thanks for directing me to a great thread though!

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 13

I read a thread somewhere that some use food safe cellophane over the paper. I have actually done this as long as I have my cake on a separate cake board.  

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 13

A

Original message sent by punkin90

I read a thread somewhere that some use food safe cellophane over the paper. I have actually done this as long as I have my cake on a separate cake board.  

Hi Punkin90 Thanks for your reply! With the cellophane, how do you get it to go down smoothly?

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 13

You have to be careful because it will tear easily. I spread the cellophane on a counter or table and lay my cake board on top and cut the cellophane. Then I usually tape it to my cake board. Don't pull too hard or you will tear it.

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 13

AThanks so much, I'll give it a try as soon as I can find some food safe cellophane!

Carabella Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 13

ADoes anybody else have any thoughts on the " to contact or not to contact ) situation?!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 13

I know--from direct communication with company that makes Contact paper--that the cake should NOT sit directly on contact paper. 

The "worst" direct contact is on printed Contact paper because the dyes contain lead.  The clear Contact paper is less of an issue, but the cake must still be on it's own board.

Place the cake on a board the same size and adhere that [I use packing tape folded on itself or double sided tape] to the Contact paper covered board. 

Piped borders often stay stuck to the board when a cake is cut and served, so they can just be left behind and thrown away.  If, for some reason, having that border to eat is important, then a piece of wax paper or parchment, slightly larger than the cake size should be put down first, the cake second, and then the border piped.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 13

wow..good info. I didn't even know they used lead in kitchen products anymore

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin90 

You have to be careful because it will tear easily. I spread the cellophane on a counter or table and lay my cake board on top and cut the cellophane. Then I usually tape it to my cake board. Don't pull too hard or you will tear it.

just a thought...would the shirk wrap cellophane that they wrap gift baskets in work? I assume it is food safe since they wrap fruit baskets in it. I wonder how well it would shrink around the board? Plus most folks leave a cake board under their cake between cake and drum....just an idea

Carabella Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 13

A

Original message sent by maybenot

I know--from direct communication with company that makes Contact paper--that the cake should NOT sit directly on contact paper. 

The "worst" direct contact is on printed Contact paper because the dyes contain lead.  The clear Contact paper is less of an issue, but the cake must still be on it's own board.

Place the cake on a board the same size and adhere that [I use packing tape folded on itself or double sided tape] to the Contact paper covered board. 

Piped borders often stay stuck to the board when a cake is cut and served, so they can just be left behind and thrown away.  If, for some reason, having that border to eat is important, then a piece of wax paper or parchment, slightly larger than the cake size should be put down first, the cake second, and then the border piped.

Thanks for the great reply maybenot, it was a big help!

Carabella Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

just a thought...would the shirk wrap cellophane that they wrap gift baskets in work? I assume it is food safe since they wrap fruit baskets in it. I wonder how well it would shrink around the board? Plus most folks leave a cake board under their cake between cake and drum....just an idea

It might work but I don't know if I could get it perfectly smooth. The only problem with cellophane is that when you make a cut in it, it usually rips straight through, so when I make cuts in it to go around the board it will probably rip. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%