How Did You Start?

Lounge By anaelisabethlee Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 1:05am by SystemMod2

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:30pm
post #61 of 159

ATootle! Haven't you ever stretched tootle?! All The Best decorators do.

My passion & fat fingers were flying too fast to stop autocorrect.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:34pm
post #62 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Tootle! Haven't you ever stretched tootle?! All The Best decorators do.

My passion & fat fingers were flying too fast to stop autocorrect.

Lol- icon_lol.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:38pm
post #63 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

I just have a couple of questions...what does tootle mean -- I hope it's not anything like twerking (a word I now know thanks to Miley Cyrus).  And who'd have ever thought Donald Trump would get dragged into this? Or Miley Cyrus?

I just googled 'twerking'... thanks for that. Thank you so much.

As far as getting started, I went to Culinary school for 4 years, even moved to Europe for half of it. Got my first 'pastry' job as a dish washer in a fancy cafe in Paris and brown nosed my way up to 'dough girl'.

Worked my butt off, 40 hours a week in a kitchen, and 20 hours at a second job to pay off the schooling, then finally got to the position I wanted and very soon after got sick.

Needed something new that didn't involve being in a kitchen close to 60 hours a week, only thing I really knew was pastry and baking, so once again started brown nosing. Got a local bakery that needed a new decorator but couldn't afford to pay over min wage to train and hire me.

Once I was confident enough, I opened my own business, spent every last penny I had saved up since I was 16 to build a commercial kitchen, and went for it.

So yeah, I can get a bit 'viscous and ugly' when people do things illegally and can't even be bothered to own up to it. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go stretch  my tootle.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:45pm
post #64 of 159

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

So yeah, I can get a bit 'viscous and ugly' when people do things illegally and can't even be bothered to own up to it. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go stretch  my tootle.

You may want to tone down your viscosity first.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/viscous

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:49pm
post #65 of 159

I just thought I'd chime in for any Aussies reading this thread and say that the advice being given here is specific to the US. I also think it's smart for people to give their local tax office a call (ATO, IRS, whatever) and ask what the guidelines are. This is copy and pasted directly from an Australian Government small business website:

The easiest way to find out if you are running a business or a hobby is to ask yourself a few simple questions. Here's a quick test:

- Is the activity being undertaken for commercial reasons?

- Do you have the purpose and prospect of making a profit?

- Are you regularly and repetitively undertaking the activities?

- Is your activity planned, organised and carried on in a business-like manner?

If you answer yes to more than two of these questions, it would be reasonable to assume that you are operating a business.

SO - I would ascertain from that if a family member or friend approaches you and asks you to make a cake and they will supply the ingredients, or reimburse you for ingredients it is not a business. As long as it's not something you are actively seeking out and doing on a regular basis and are not doing so in a business like manner. 

But I'd still ring up and ask. Which, I'm actually going to do today. But THIS information is Australia specific.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:52pm
post #66 of 159

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

"sixinarow," since you seem to be so free with giving legal advice:

In what state did you pass your bar exam?

While I am neither an attorney, nor do I play one on television, it is [I]my understanding[/I] that handing out legal advice without either a license to practice law, or a [I]very clear[/I] disclaimer that you're not an attorney, constitutes practicing law without a license.

Regardless of whether money changes hands.

Now, as I said privately to somebody whom you drove to the brink of leaving the forum permanently

I'm not an attorney. Thankfully, my father, uncle, aunt, brother, sister-in-law and cousin are ALL attorneys, so I get legal advice free (and sometimes unsolicited.) I have never claimed to be an attorney. I have passed on advise given to me when I asked legal questions or passed in links to agencies where people can find answers. As for "driving someone from the board" ..seriously? Did I come into this thread irritated? YES. Because OP was laughing in another thread she started about how she was giving a raw cake (didn't have time to re-bake so I just covered it with frosting --to it'll blend in, right ).

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:56pm
post #67 of 159

AOMG! I think my husband may be in trouble for operating an illegal auto shop. I reimbursed him for the oil he put in my van! I hope none of you reports us. *chewing fingernails*

:-)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:59pm
post #68 of 159

Only if he put the oil in your gas can....or otherwise harmed your car.

sixinarow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:05am
post #69 of 159

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

OMG! I think my husband may be in trouble for operating an illegal auto shop. I reimbursed him for the oil he put in my van! I hope none of you reports us. *chewing fingernails*

:-)

I could give you some advice ... but apparently that's frowned upon around here! :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:06am
post #70 of 159

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

OMG! I think my husband may be in trouble for operating an illegal auto shop. I reimbursed him for the oil he put in my van! I hope none of you reports us.

Not to worry, the IRS has been notified since your husband failed to preemptively claim the oil reimbursement as income. A paddy wagon is now speeding to your location.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:14am
post #71 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Sigh, I even have spell check on.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #72 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

OMG! I think my husband may be in trouble for operating an illegal auto shop. I reimbursed him for the oil he put in my van! I hope none of you reports us. *chewing fingernails*

icon_smile.gif

Really? Why? My husband I combined our incomes and bank accounts when we married. We buy oil, and we buy cake products, and we pay the bills. 

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:16am
post #73 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

LOL! Of course you do.... Don't we Albert? 

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:17am
post #74 of 159
Quote:

Double sigh, since viscous is a word, of course spell check didn't catch it. I need coffee!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:29am
post #75 of 159

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Really? Why? My husband I combined our incomes and bank accounts when we married. We buy oil, and we buy cake products, and we pay the bills. 

Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:49am
post #76 of 159

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Would this apply to the advice you've offered on copyright infringement?

Honestly that's stretching tootle a point. Lots of people here offer advice on legal areas. No one confuses them with being a lawyer.

;-D

[quote name="jason_kraft" url="/t/762749/how-did-you-start/45#post_7436283"] While it is illegal in some jurisdictions to give legal advice without being an attorney or posting a disclaimer, responding to legal questions posted online is specifically considered legal information, not legal advice, and therefore neither passing the bar nor including a disclaimer would be necessary.

http://hirealawyer.findlaw.com/do-you-need-a-lawyer/what-is-legal-advice.html[/quote] ;-D

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:31am
post #77 of 159
Quote:

icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

OK, so totally off, off topic but the opening is just perfect.

I've been married for a little over 30 years. I always tell people that the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms and separate checking accounts icon_wink.gif! (Half) tongue-in-cheek but not really!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:47am
post #78 of 159
Quote:

I just googled 'twerking'... thanks for that. Thank you so much.

As far as getting started, I went to Culinary school for 4 years, even moved to Europe for half of it. Got my first 'pastry' job as a dish washer in a fancy cafe in Paris and brown nosed my way up to 'dough girl'.

Worked my butt off, 40 hours a week in a kitchen, and 20 hours at a second job to pay off the schooling, then finally got to the position I wanted and very soon after got sick.

Needed something new that didn't involve being in a kitchen close to 60 hours a week, only thing I really knew was pastry and baking, so once again started brown nosing. Got a local bakery that needed a new decorator but couldn't afford to pay over min wage to train and hire me.

Once I was confident enough, I opened my own business, spent every last penny I had saved up since I was 16 to build a commercial kitchen, and went for it.

You're welcome. And thank you for not using viscous, ugly and twerking in the same sentence. I like the way you separated them with all that stuff about culinary school. I didn't go to culinary school because my parents wanted me to be a doctor. Now I'm not a doctor or a chef, but I can dissect anything that will hold still long enough! lol
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:48am
post #79 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Quote:

icon_smile.gif

Quote:

OK, so totally off, off topic but the opening is just perfect.

I've been married for a little over 30 years. I always tell people that the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms and separate checking accounts icon_wink.gif! (Half) tongue-in-cheek but not really!

Oh, I would love a separate bathroom! Except, if it wasn't for my feminine sensibilities, you would need a hazmat suit to enter "our" master bathroom. 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:16am
post #80 of 159
Quote:

Oh, I would love a separate bathroom! Except, if it wasn't for my feminine sensibilities, you would need a hazmat suit to enter "our" master bathroom. 

Oh, I should clarify...the master bath is the one that's MINE icon_biggrin.gif. Hazmat suit reserved for the one I never have to look at. (Not really, he does a decent job of keeping it clean, maybe not quite up to our standards but certainly OK.)

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #81 of 159

A

I got my experience by volunteering to do free cakes for every event I went to. KY doesn't have a cottage food law, you HAVE to work out of a commercial kitchen. I have 4 kids, 2 brothers, a nephew, both my brothers had numerous girlfriends over the years, school functions, friends baby and wedding showers, then wedding cakes, and their children's birthday cakes. Neighbors, their kids... I got invited to a lot of parties when I was doing free cakes! (Not so much now, lol!)  I am very lucky I had the restrictions I did, because I was all butt-hurt I had to have a license, and I thought I was ready to start selling when my cakes looked like this  

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3088289/] [/URL]

BAHAHAHAHAA!!!! That Wonder Woman CMTHU!!! 

BUT, since I had to fix my credit, save $10,000, buy a house, buy equipment, build a bakery, and get licensed, once I finally got started, my cakes looked like this  [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3088290/] [/URL]

Loved this post. Just wanted to say.

If you want to see more twerking (that's now in my phone's spell check memory, thanks), check out the Watch What Happens Live YouTube page. Everybody for time for dat.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 5:13am
post #82 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

You're welcome. And thank you for not using viscous, ugly and twerking in the same sentence. I like the way you separated them with all that stuff about culinary school. I didn't go to culinary school because my parents wanted me to be a doctor. Now I'm not a doctor or a chef, but I can dissect anything that will hold still long enough! lol

Yeah... I'm classy like that. haha

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:11am
post #83 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Quote:

I got my experience by volunteering to do free cakes for every event I went to. KY doesn't have a cottage food law, you HAVE to work out of a commercial kitchen. I have 4 kids, 2 brothers, a nephew, both my brothers had numerous girlfriends over the years, school functions, friends baby and wedding showers, then wedding cakes, and their children's birthday cakes. Neighbors, their kids... I got invited to a lot of parties when I was doing free cakes! (Not so much now, lol!)  I am very lucky I had the restrictions I did, because I was all butt-hurt I had to have a license, and I thought I was ready to start selling when my cakes looked like this

BUT, since I had to fix my credit, save $10,000, buy a house, buy equipment, build a bakery, and get licensed, once I finally got started, my cakes looked like this 

Loved this post. Just wanted to say.

If you want to see more twerking (that's now in my phone's spell check memory, thanks), check out the Watch What Happens Live YouTube page. Everybody for time for dat.

THANK YOU!!! I keep hoping someone would make fun of my older cakes, after all the trouble I went through to find them, lol! They are funny, aren't they? 

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:45am
post #84 of 159

I have been advised many times in these forums that what I am doing is illegal and that I should not be making cakes and under cutting the professional businesses and trivializing their craft with my cheap cakes.  Thank you Jason-kraft  for the links you provided concerning the cottage food law !  I had no idea this was even in the works to make us able to sell from our homes.  As many of course can tell I am from Texas and I just spent a few minutes going over the cottage food law guide lines.  Here in simple terms is what will become into effect next week in Texas !  So by the looks of things if I follow the guide lines and get  my papers in order and my food handlers  card ( which takes all of an hour ) I will be legit !!!  I of course will be talking to my attorney to make sure I cross my t's and dot my i's.     But this is truly exciting.      http://www/texascottagefoodlaw.com/TheLaw/HB970Summary.aspx

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:45am
post #85 of 159

I LOL'd at the Wonder Woman cake, but I think the others are good! The wedding cake looks a bit dated, but it's probably because of the time you did it. I can see why you went into business! 

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 7:09am
post #86 of 159

AI love that wonderwoman has no neck!!! When I did my first sugarpaste figurines, I remember my mum coming around and her mouth was twitching (she isn't known for her tact). Then she couldn't contain herself anymore and was practically weeping with laughter at my 'ugly drag queen bride'. Nothing like parental encouragement! I don't have any pics, but I am happy to say that I can now turn out one of these!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=616531578379942&set=pb.574932149206552.-2207520000.1377673713.&type=3&theater

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 8:55am
post #87 of 159

CakeChemistry, your post made me laugh so much!! Drag queen bride!!

hislilbaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hislilbaker89 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:02am
post #88 of 159

AI love ur 11 year old birthday cake with all those colors. Ur wonder woman is very unique. Lol it cracks me up!

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3088289/] [/URL]

BUT, since I had to fix my credit, save $10,000, buy a house, buy equipment, build a bakery, and get licensed, once I finally got started, my cakes looked like this  [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3088290/] [/URL]

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #89 of 159

ATexas_mom. I think you are the very last to know that Texas has a cottage food law, lol! It is being changed to expand it, it has been in place for 2 years. What we protest to the very most is undercutting. Please set prices you could live on, as if it were your only income. If it takes 8 hours, you need to pay yourself at least a living wage those 8 hours, plus the cost of supplies and overhead. There is also profit, which is not your personal pay, it is what you can invest back into your business.

sixinarow Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:29pm
post #90 of 159

After looking at this with fresh eyes (minus the raging headache) *deep breath*. I can see how my original post could have been taken as hostile, I should have perhaps used a more gentle approach in expressing my opinion, so I'll try one more time in the spirit of healing and making amends. 

I started off baking purely for my children, so I understand the joy and love that goes into having a hobby that fills a creative outlet that you have a passion for. Where the line gets blurred is when hobby bakers start referring to cakes as "orders" and money starts changing hands. Many states (and countries) have cottage food laws that has made it very easy for home bakers to sell legally out of their home. I don't understand why people don't at least check into what it would take to become legal..in some cases, it's not that much. I baked for my family (free cakes) for 4 years before I started thinking about going into business. Then I spent the next 2 years trying recipes, practicing decorating, learning way more than I ever wanted to know about taxes, rules,contracts (legal stuff makes my brain hurt which is why I TRIED to pass on what I had learned the hard way through marathon, brain-numbing legal Q&A at family get-togethers...when I would have rather been in the kitchen baking.) Then came the next step of breaking down recipes to figure out costs, then came menus, then came the even more painful process of website/page design. THEN came my first paid order..2 years after the thought of a cake business first popped into my head. 

Yes, my examples of bartering may have been overboard, by that time in the thread, I was ticked off. I should have walked away and not responded, but I did and now I'm owning it. I could have not come back and apologized, but that's not the person that I am. If I say something harsh, my gooey center gets the best of me until I make it right. But sometimes on these threads, everything besides a 100% positive comment is taken as mean..I was not intending to be mean (especially in my original post -- go back and read it) I was intending to be honest, which is what I am.

The point I was trying to make (and yes, by the end I was down right crabby) was to at least do some due diligence and do your own checking into rules/laws/regs..it's really not that hard. You'll have an understanding of what you need to do in the future if you ever decide to have a business, if you go through cottage food laws, you'll take classes on food safety so people aren't getting raw food and get sick.

So, I'm sorry for almost "driving someone from the board", for the tone of my last few responses. I'm taking an extended vacay from CC...it's too stressful and I don't like that emails can be taken in 5000 ways.

Peace, love, hugs, puppies and unicorns..kumbaya...and all that mushy stuff. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%