Freezer Paper For "waxed Paper Transfer"?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 4:02am by smittyditty

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 7

I'm about to put a "collar" of fondant on a cake and want to use the wax paper transfer method (for the first time).  Would freezer paper be easier to handle and get onto the cake? I'm thinking wax paper might be pretty floppy. Has anyone tried this before? I don't have any parchment paper.

6 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 7

I personally have not tried it yet, I bought a box and haven't gotten around to it.

I know people who use the freezer paper to cut out fondant on. So my guess is it would work fine.

Bumping you up in hopes someone with experience can answer for you.

dawnybird Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

I personally have not tried it yet, I bought a box and haven't gotten around to it.

I know people who use the freezer paper to cut out fondant on. So my guess is it would work fine.

Bumping you up in hopes someone with experience can answer for you.

Thank you. No one else has responded yet. I know it's soon, but I'm about to do it in a few minutes and I was hoping maybe one person would make me feel better by saying Yes, I've used it! It works fine! Well, if no one answers, I'll just give it a go.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 7

I don't see why not, I usually use the wax paper method when I'm doing something like stripes, and I want to be able to see through the paper to line things up and such.

The fondant keeps it from being too 'floppy'.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 12:35am
post #5 of 7

Sure, either parchment paper or freezer paper will work fine.  I think most of us prefer waxed paper because you can fold it in half to make it sturdier and you can see through it for proper placement of the object.  But whatever you do lightly bless the waxed paper or shiny side of the freezer paper with Crisco - just a light smear will do the trick.

dawnybird Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips and ideas, guys. I just finished the job and it worked fine with the freezer paper. I was doing a construction vehicles cake for a one year old and I wanted to put a fondant collar to be the blue sky and green hills. The paper made it easy to get it on in one piece all the way around the cake! Yay!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:02am
post #7 of 7

Good to know! That is kinda why it was still in the cabinet unused. So I'm glad you asked the question and I'm glad you got an answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%