Cake Bulging

Decorating By MebeforeCakes Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 8:28pm by SystemMod1

MebeforeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MebeforeCakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 21

Don't bite my head off. What is the steps to prevent the bulging under fondant. Is this the proper way? If this in incorrect please let me know. Thanks.

1.Bake and cool

2. Tort

3. Freeze

4. Unfreeze

5.put a dam of buttercream icing if thats whay I'm using between layers

6. lay a tile on top of the cake (put wax of saran wrap to prevent it from touching the cake)

7. Let it settle for a couple of hours

8. Remove and frost as normally and cover with fondant as normally?

20 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 21

AI tort after the cake comes out of the freezer. Make sure your buttercream dam is stiff. I use a totally different recipe for my dam than my filling. It's so thick, I can roll it into a rope on the counter. I use ganache under my fondant instead of bc. Those are my differences.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 21

A

Original message sent by MebeforeCakes

[B]Don't bite my head off[/B]. What is the steps to prevent the bulging under fondant. Is this the proper way? If this in incorrect please let me know. Thanks.

1.Bake and cool 2. Tort 3. Freeze 4. Unfreeze 5.put a dam of buttercream icing if thats whay I'm using between layers 6. lay a tile on top of the cake (put wax of saran wrap to prevent it from touching the cake) 7. Let it settle for a couple of hours 8. Remove and frost as normally and cover with fondant as normally?

Really? I stopped reading after the first sentence. Exit.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 21

AThat sounds good!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 21

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

I tort after the cake comes out of the freezer. Make sure your buttercream dam is stiff. I use a totally different recipe for my dam than my filling. It's so thick, I can roll it into a rope on the counter. I use ganache under my fondant instead of bc. Those are my differences.

I freeze first too, it's easie to cut cold. But it's fine if you can do it that way

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 21

Yup looks good, just freeze before torting it's easier

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MebeforeCakes 

Don't bite my head off. What is the steps to prevent the bulging under fondant. Is this the proper way? If this in incorrect please let me know. Thanks.

1.Bake and cool

2. Tort

3. Freeze

4. Unfreeze

5.put a dam of buttercream icing if thats whay I'm using between layers

6. lay a tile on top of the cake (put wax of saran wrap to prevent it from touching the cake)

7. Let it settle for a couple of hours

8. Remove and frost as normally and cover with fondant as normally?

What does that say about the tone of this blog lately???  I'm fairly new and have been stunned at some of the meanness shown here.  There are some helpful professionals here, however.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

What does that say about the tone of this blog lately???  I'm fairly new and have been stunned at some of the meanness shown here.  There are some helpful professionals here, however.

Why only bolding professionals?  I like to think there are helpful non-professionals too :)

MebeforeCakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks to everyone professional and non-professionals for your input. I think we have all been in the same boat where a question has come up and needed to be asked. What was the point of logging in to say a smart remark. You could have just ignored the question. Most of the time when a how to question is asked, people want to know the step you took to get to the point where you are at. I think it was very rude for a certain person to reply with a non helpful question. It kind of makes you not want to even ask something, because of something like that. Everyone else, again thanks.

soldiernurse Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:

Thanks to everyone professional and non-professionals for your input. I think we have all been in the same boat where a question has come up and needed to be asked. What was the point of logging in to say a smart remark. You could have just ignored the question. Most of the time when a how to question is asked, people want to know the step you took to get to the point where you are at. I think it was very rude for a certain person to reply with a non helpful question. It kind of makes you not want to even ask something, because of something like that. Everyone else, again thanks.

Exactly. I felt that's what you were feeling and I'm sorry that you felt that you had to protect yourself before asking your question. I thought the forum was to help each other, and those of you who are endowed with the talent I so wish I had, become better bakers. You can say almost anything to anyone and get your point across, it just the way you say it.

CatherineM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineM Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 21

I've heard you can also make your dam from a rolled strip of fondant, which would be stronger than buttercream.  I've not tried this yet, but as I'm currently experimenting with Ermine frosting which gets quite soft when out of the fridge, I'm going to try it when I get the chance.  I usually put ganache between the layers, which sets up firmer than BC, so avoids the problem. I think another factor can be the weight of the fondant, so I guess that means roll it as thinly as you can manage.

soldiernurse Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Why only bolding professionals?  I like to think there are helpful non-professionals too :)

Oh absolutely!!! Didn't mean that at all...icon_smile.gif

vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 21

A

Original message sent by MebeforeCakes

Thanks to everyone professional and non-professionals for your input. I think we have all been in the same boat where a question has come up and needed to be asked.[B]True.[/B] What was the point of logging in to say a smart remark. [B]You're not that important. I was already logged in.[/B]You could have just ignored the question.[B]Which is exactly what I did.[/B] Most of the time when a how to question is asked, people want to know the step you took to get to the point where you are at.[B]Yes, but give people the benefit of the doubt. One can't go through life EXPECTING negative responses[/B] I think it was very rude for a certain person to reply with a non helpful question. [B]I think it was rude of your to start your thread like the folks here are rabid animals waiting to pounce.[/B]It kind of makes you not want to even ask something, because of something like that. [B]I understand.[/B] Everyone else, again thanks.

I came into your thread wanting to help *I'm actually in a good mood today and felt like petting some puppies and unicorns.* That first line was just off. It's like you approach a person to help and they start freaking out. Natural response: back out of it.

Now that we've cleared the air. The only thing I would add to your list is this:

Bulging is simply excess stuff trying to come out of an enclosed space. How do you prevent it? Don't use too much filling, use a dam, and (here's what's not on your list) pipe the dam about 1/2 inch or so inside the perimeter of the cake layer. When you put the cake together and place that tile on top, the weight will squeeze something out. If the dam is right at the edge of the layer... yep. Bulging. Which isn't really a bad thing at that point since you can scrape it off (it's bad when much of the dam squeezes out and scraping causes the filling to ooze. Not. Cool.) but since some cakes continue to settle even after they've been finished, this might be an issue. With a bit of space between the dam and the edge, the squeezed out part has somewhere to go without bulging outside the layers.

MebeforeCakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 21

Thank you for your input. I understand how things can be taken the wrong way. In my eyes I could be totally playing with someone when I say something, but then how they take it is totally not funny to them. Clearly it was a miscommunication and I do really thank you for responding with your input. I see what you mean on the about putting the dam right on the edge of the layer. I have been doing this, because it was what was taught to me in my cake class. Now I see how and why this has been happening to me. Good tip!

vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 21

AYou're welcome. Here's an e-hug for good measure LOL. (((HUG))).

*Good grace, am I becoming soft?! NOoooooooooooooooooo! Exits left*

MebeforeCakes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 21

ASuccess I finally had no bulging under my fondant. I didn't have any tiles so I used a large Apple Laptop, and it worked. Thanks for the tips!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

What was the point of saying don't bite my head off??? 

soldiernurse Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 21

Again, really???

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

Again, really???

AZCouture puts a lot of effort into this forum, helping many folks. She's earned the right to make a simple statement without people biting her head off.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

AZCouture puts a lot of effort into this forum, helping many folks. She's earned the right to make a simple statement without people biting her head off.

THIS!

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 21

This thread has run its course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%