Fondant Cutouts -- Need Help!

Decorating By laurennp89 Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm by JSKConfections

laurennp89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurennp89 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 6

AHi everyone, I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me asap!

I am doing a jungle themed baby shower cake and I made 2d fondant cutouts of animals to place on the cake. The cutouts need to have buttercream details added to them. Cake is due tomorrow (the 24th of August). Can I decorate the cutouts with the buttercream and store them in an airtight container in the fridge then place them on the cake in the morning? Or should I wait until morning to add the details and then place them on the cake? HELP!! please & thank you!

5 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

You let fondant cut outs lay out and dry, I wouldn't put them in the frig.  You can put on the details and let them dry overnight..

laurennp89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurennp89 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 6

AOh okay thank you! The cutouts are already dried. If I put the buttercream details on them now, do I keep them airtight on the counter til morning? Sorry all the questions, fondant confuses me still.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 6

Did you consider royal icing details?

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #5 of 6

ARoyal icing details dry faster than Butter Cream, are a little more fragile but you get a finer detail. Don't put anything with coloured details in the fridge as when you take them out the condensation can make them weep. Good luck, happy decorating.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry didn't see this till now...I would let the buttercream details just air dry as you would the fondant...sealing in plastic can make some fondants soften back up, and buttercream can make fondant start to soften as well. If your worried about leaving it out uncovered, just lay a napkin or paper towel lightly on top after its crusted. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%