Any Idea How Much Royal Icing I Will Need?

Decorating By Dacila77 Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 12:41am by Dacila77

Dacila77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacila77 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:24am
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I am making a 5 tier (14", 12", 10", 8", 6") fondant cake for my friends wedding and she has requested the cornelli lace pattern for every tier.  My Royal icing recipe makes 3 cups.  Anyone, have any ideas how much (approximately) I will need to cover that many tiers?  I would hate to get started and run out..........

TIA,

Alica

2 replies
Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:32am
post #2 of 3

I would probably just make lots of it - even though you know it will be probably too much - to save the stress of running out. That's probably not helpful advice but it's what I usually do when I try something for the first time to work out quantities etc and then I write it down and know for next time. So, for whatever recipe you're using, if you think that 1 quantity of RI would decorate your biggest tier, I would make one quantity of icing per tier even though they're getting smaller. That way if your biggest tier takes a bit more you have extra to spare. And I see your quantity of RI makes 3 cups so do a dummy 14" tier, make a batch of RI and see how far it goes.

I hope that is even a tiny bit helpful! 

Dacila77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacila77 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:41am
post #3 of 3

Well, since no one else offered any help.  I will let you all know I made WAAAAAAY too much.  The cake tiers were 3 1/2" tall and the ribbon for each tier was 1" so that left me 1 1/2" for the cornelli lace pattern.  I did a very small, fine pattern and only used about 3 cups of RI in total!!  I made three batches......... :(  I guess now I know for next time!!  Hope this helps someone else!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%