Wedding Cake

Decorating By Nickithebaker Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 6:51pm by SystemMod1

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:34am
post #31 of 165

ASo is the cake September 14th? If you purchase the flowers they should come pre-colored so you won't need the dust. I will help you.

Nickithebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickithebaker Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:50am
post #32 of 165

This is the other option folks.  I'm sure I can do better than this.  Even if I did BC and piped it, I know I can do better. Plus, this cake was dry and crumbly. 

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:04am
post #33 of 165

AAs much as you think you will do better than the bakery, there is more to tiered cakes than Wilton classes can even begin to explain. I would still say your current situation isn't the best place to practice but if you insist and if you're real and just trying to help out family (not pulling our legs), consider a round BC cake simply iced (maybe even the rustic textured look). Use SPS. Purchase the flowers. Focus on structure: putting each tier together properly, proper stacking etc.

Fondant can be a hassle even for the experienced.You don't want that kind of pressure this close to the wedding. At least try something that has a chance of maybe coming out okay. Then brace yourself.

Smckinney07 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:05am
post #34 of 165

ADo they have their heart set on a square cake? It would be much easier to do a round cake. Don't use Wilton fondant, maybe Fondarific or FondX. Many people like Satin Ice but I personally don't care for it. Watch some YouTube videos about covering a cake with fondant and if you have a local Deans Party Mania or Cake Store (sometimes even Walmart) carry cake dummies they're made of styrofoam you can practice covering those with fondant.

Is the reception inside or outside? Do they have a topper, if it's heavy you'll need to account for that? How many servings do you need?

You will need a cake stand, some kind of base stand to hold the weight of the entire cake, sps, cake rounds for each tier, a bench scraper (if you don't plan on using often I'd get a plastic one from a hardware store), a spatula, a long serrated knife for leveling and torting your layers, and some place to order the flowers from (I can recommend some sites). Your ingredients and recipes for cakes as well as frosting (I can recommend some that will be good for stacking-as long as your supports are good it doesn't matter much).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:47am
post #35 of 165

Take it from a professional cake decorator that *seldom* used fondant.  It is NOT that hard for some people - maybe for others yes, but if you are willing to practice and it sounds like you are I don't thin k it will be that hard.  My suggestion is to roll the fondant a bit on the thick side (about/slightly less than 1/2").  That will make it easier to handle/move from rollout table to cake etc. (Yes, you will use more but it will be easier to handle. 

Are you using pre-made/bought or are you going to make the fondant?  What brand/recipe?  That also will have a huge factor in how well it handles.

Most of the time I used Wilton fondant.   I know, I know most people think it's horrible but I always kneaded in lots of flavoring (usually a combination of vanilla; butter and almond that I always kept mixed & ready). 

Definately take the tiers seperately and assemble at venue.  I don't suggest doing all the baking etc on site as most likely items needed will be forgotten and that throws off your mental ability to work well/fast.    Go over and over and over a list of items you will need for putting the cake together so you don't forget anything.  There will still be a lot you need to take just to finish off the borders etc when putting it together. 

Oh, I also agree that one should use cake boards but sq ones are very hard to find and you end up cutting other sizes/shapes to get what you need.  That's when foamcore comes in handy.  I never could cut them very straight (especially the round ones) and didn't like using foamcore but for sqs it shouldn't be a problem.

Just be sure to make them thick enough to support the weight of the cake.  The base can be several layers of foam glued together if you don't have a special stand to put the cake on.

daryll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daryll Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #36 of 165

AI'm a hobby caker and even I think this must be a troll. Has to be a joke.

Nickithebaker Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:27am
post #37 of 165

Thank you for your help. 

I have been doing research all day today. I can't even count the amount of YouTubes I've watched. 

I was going to use the Satin Ice fondant, I figured I would need about 10lbs to do a 12", 10" & 8".    She is only expecting 100 guests, there won't be any other desert.   Is this way to much cake?  I was going to do 2 layers per tier.  Or do I have to do 3?  The pans are 2" deep, after leveling will you still have a 2" tall cake? 

She wants a red velvet cake, I'm thinking of just using boxed mixes.  I'm going to use a cream cheese filling in between each layer. I'm also going to make the cakes ahead of time and freeze them.  

I have a shopping cart full of stuff on globalsugarart.com   I have a set of magic line square pans, 10lbs of Satin Ice fondant,  a 20" rolling pin,  a deluxe wilton cake torte/leveler, 2 fondant smoothers, 1/2" plastic dowels, all of the correct sized cardboard cake squares, a 1/2" foam board for the bottom layer, a 16"x16" masonite board that I will cover with foil for the base, a fat daddio turntable, some large white gum paste roses, several different shades of pink petal dust and luster dust.   I'm also ordering all the stuff to actually make gum paste flowers.  If mine look like crap I will have the pre made ones as back up.  

We don't have a Walmart or big craft store, but our local "variety" store carries Wilton fondant.  Tomorrow I am going to bake a square cake, crumb coat it and try out the fondant.  If I can't make it look ok I will go with a round cake.  The bride said she would prefer a square cake, but would be ok with round.    I'm going to hold off on ordering the cake pans until I'm SURE I can put fondant on something square.  

The reception is outside, they don't have a topper yet but want a "w" to sit on top - any suggestions on where to find one? 

I don't want to use a knife to level, I'm not good at doing that.  I'm going to use a leveler.  How necessary is the SPS versus using 1/2" plastic dowels? I watched the video, it looks like it is a good system, but I have decided to make the cake at the venue - thus I will only be moving it a few hundred feet.  

What is the bench scraper for?  I have a nice stainless one I use for cooking. 

And aren't trolls mythical creatures? Pretty sure I'm not mythical.   I am a busy mom of two boys, ages 1 and 3.  I do not have time invent stories and post them on cake sites.  Who does that? 

vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:32am
post #38 of 165

AYou'd be surprised.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:34am
post #39 of 165

Please take a photo of when it's done! Granted, it does seem you're planning as much as you can- so good luck!

I can't really see the cake from your brother's wedding so clearly..it's a bit in the distance and the shadows and all.

On another note, not to the OP but to whomever got all upset about someone questioning whether this post was real...seriously- you took offense to that question? Seriously? It is beginning to amaze me at what people get all upset over.  That was not a rude question..the OP asked how to do something very difficult without any experience at all, in some very unfavorable conditions. It's only natural to assume it has to be a joke. The only rudeness I saw was from your statement.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:30am
post #40 of 165

I was hoping it was a troll....now I'm scared.  

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 1:08pm
post #41 of 165

It sounds like you have the right tools, and having the right tools for a job is a lot of what it takes!  

You don't need SPS if you are going to make the cake at the venue, just make sure that you have someone strong with sturdy hands to help you lift the cake to the table.

I don't think you will have too much cake for 100 people, it sounds like the size is about right.  If you decide to go with the square pans, make sure they are  2" and not 3" pans.  3" pans don't bake as well and take forever

I suggest you get some bake-even strips as well...then your cake will come out of the oven level and all you will have to do is torte. (or you can make your own with old towels...works like a charm!)  Also, get metal flower nails, to invert into the unbaked cake so that it will bake evenly.

If you want a fabulous red velvet box mix, google Red Velvet WASC.  It's an easy, tried-and-true recipe for doctored box mix.

Glad you will make a practice cake.

Post pictures!

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 1:58pm
post #42 of 165

This has all been an interesting read for sure!  Good luck Nicki, ask questions if they come up as you do your trial run.  Sometimes they only way to learn is to go for it!  SPS system would be the safest system to stack your cake.  I'll be following this string for sure!icon_cool.gif

Smckinney07 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 2:34pm
post #43 of 165

Ahttps://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

This has recipe links, there's a Red Velvet, you can use different flavors for the tiers if you want. You can make each tier two, three, four layers-it depends on how high they are. I would recommend you make two cakes per tier, each cake approx 2" high, with filling-which can just be buttercream then frosting the cakes they should measure about 4" high (anything smaller looks squatty). The more layers you make the more 'sliding' can happen so I'd just do two thick layers pier tier.

http://ericaobrien.com/blog/2012/04/2730194043094325741.html

This is a serving chart with baking times and approx batter amounts per pan. It's the industry standard. So you'll just need a cutting guide.

The bench scraper helps with icing the cake, not necessary but easier. You have your cake on the turntable and use the bench scraper to scrape off extra icing to make clean edges. The sps is just a fail safe, if you will, especially for a first timer-you can use poly dowels, bubble tea straws as long as they are all cut the same level it's ok. It's not just about moving the cake it's about supporting the weight of the upper tiers. Use what your comfortable with, personally if I don't use sps I'll use fat straws or poly dowels which are essentially the same thing. I don't care for wooden dowels, but people use them successfully-I worry it displaces cake.

I asked about a topper because I was worried about weight on the cake. I usually make mine out of Gumpaste but just let them find one they like. Maybe Hobby Lobby. Masonite boards are great, sounds like you have everything covered. Each fondant is different it's probably a good idea to practice with Wilton, I personally don't care for it but it's better then buying 10lbs.

I always make cakes ahead, freeze covered in plastic and foil, then let sit before I unwrap. Oh I see your using cream cheese filling, yum. You can use whatever you want to level the cake, I just use a knife because it's easier for me but most use those cake levels. Good luck, let us know how your practice run goes.

ddaigle Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 2:37pm
post #44 of 165

JSK...hopefully you are referring to go for it...as in go for the trial run....because I don't think the way to learn is taking a wedding cake order after 3 wilton classes and having so little knowledge.  Some of the questions are basic cake decorating 101.   I hope this turns out.  

Nickithebaker Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:59pm
post #45 of 165

Norasmom & Smckinney07 and the few others with useful info, Thank you for your comments.  

Just to make something PERFECTLY clear to everyone:  I know this is a huge deal, I don't want to ruin anyone's day.  I've already told the bride about the feed back I have received, and If my test run doesn't turn out I'm not going to make the cake.  Her reply?  Ignore all of you, it will be fine.  If I can't do square do round.  If I can't do fondant do BC.   If I don't make the cake for her, she will.

Sorry, that may have been out of line, but seriously.  I know I'm not going to make a competition quality cake here, never said I could.  I simply asked for a few pointers.  Instead I get attacked, called a troll (whatever that means, as far as I'm aware trolls are green and live under bridges) and told I'm going to make national news and end up on Ebay.   This wedding is being thrown together in under a month.  Her flowers are coming from the grocery store, her aunty and a few cousins are making all the food.  This isn't a 40K wedding, it's probably going to be under 2K all said and done.  She is borrowing a wedding dress from another cousin.  Her other aunt is taking pictures.   So, unless one of you intends on driving to Montana and baking her a cake for free, the responsibility has fallen on me.  I simply want to do the best job I can - which is why I am purchasing about $250 worth of stuff I may never use again.   I do appreciate constructive criticism & comments though - for instance I didn't realize square would be much more difficult than round, didn't know to use the flower nails to help it bake better.  

Thank you VERY much for the recipes and cups per pan chart.  I have been wondering how I was going to figure out that.  I thought I would have to use a measuring cup and add water to the pan cup by cup until I had the pan about 2/3 full. dunce.gif

I have been looking at Red Velvet recipes online for a few days, this one looks the best.  Is there an easy way to look at a recipe and figure out how many cups of batter it will yield?   Do you add up the dry cups? 

Oh - Fondant - So Satin Ice is a yes or no?  I read a thread last night where people are having cracking issues.  Being in MT our humidity levels are pretty low. 

Also - I used the fondant chart on GSA and came up with just under 10 lbs of fondant for 8" 10" & 12" square cakes.  Is this correct?   Should I get a different brand of fondant?  I don't want to deal with cracking issues - I know the more you knead it the better - but still. If Fondarific or FondX is way better I will go that route.  Also - someone said fondant dries "hard"  how hard is hard?  Like a crunchy candy coating?  I've never had fondant, don't know what it tastes like or how it dries.  Should I get a silicone mat, or can I roll it on the counter top?  (laminate counters) 

Ok, I'm going to try stacking a cake with plastic dowels today.. we will see how that goes.  I'm off to the grocery store and craft store for fondant.  Wish me luck.. I'll post pictures this evening.   

And again, thank you to those who have offered some much needed advice. 

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 4:21pm
post #46 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBD 

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I don't think you are quite ready to take on a wedding cake.  Especially if you have never worked with fondant before.  Also, square cakes are a bit more difficult to cover than round.  Sorry to say but I think you may be in way over your head.

I agree. I think you should practice working with fondant first. When I first started decorating cakes I would have never taken a wedding cake order even if I was giving it away for free. I wouldn't want to ruin someones special day. I didn't start doing wedding cakes until 2 years into it, when I felt confident enough that I could.

vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:07pm
post #47 of 165

AWatching YouTube videos of covering a cake with fondant and actually handling fondant are two very different things... which OP is about to find out.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:22pm
post #48 of 165

I think you are very brave and generous in your endeavor and as long as the bride and groom are fully informed, go for it. Just do the best you can, take your time, do as much ahead of time as possible, plan ahead. Since you have decided to do it, that is all you can do at this point. As long as they are fully informed of your limited skill level and still would like you to do it..and looks like their choices are verrry limited..you're doing a good thing. 

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 1:55pm
post #49 of 165

I'm doing my first wedding cake the same day as you.  I've done a REDICULOUS amount of research and practice.  I'm ready to go.  I even started prepping the other day.  I'm still terrified.  I've had a few bad dreams about this damn cake.  But...if I there was anything I was unsure about, there would be no way I'd do it.  No way.  I couldn't live with myself if I had a cake wreck for someone's wedding.

Walk away if you can.  Just walk away.

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:05pm
post #50 of 165

Doh...I totally didn't read any of the other posts beforehand.  If you're all good with going forth...then I wish you the best.  This is the kind of situation when I wish you lived closer...totally would have helped a sister out:)

I buy all of my supplies from sweetwise dot com.  Free shipping on everything.  Fondx is on sale now, too.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:23pm
post #51 of 165

I just ordered some cake dummies from www.**********.com. I know I am not ready to make a wedding cake. This is a huge endeavor. I see how the cake the other lady made is sinking in on itself. The SPS will definitely eliminate that. You seem intent on doing this so I wish you the best of luck. Post the trial run pictures no matter how it turns out so we can tell you where you need to improve and how to fix it. The feedback may be harsh, but it is all honest. Take away what you need and leave the rest. These people on here have seen too many weddings ruined by first time bakers. An internet troll is someone who comes to a forum and posts something they know will get people riled up so they can laugh at their reactions. A post like yours gets people here riled up because they see too many well meaning bakers (and many who are looking to make a fast buck) ruin a brides day. Take a look at the Cake Wrecks site...at some of the "What the Bride ordered/What she actually got" and "inspiration vs Perspiration" This is what folks see here every day. That is why they are so intense.

ddaigle Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:31pm
post #52 of 165

Nicki...I am sorry you are getting beat up......unfortunately, it is going to happen on a cake decorating forum.   It's like me watching Grey's Anatomy and going to a medical forum and announcing that I am performing surgery because it looks easy on Grey's Anatomy and asking what a scalpel is.   The medical people would chew me up.   Just get tough....and listen to all of the advice...and unfortunately tough love that will be offered.   You are going to be criticized more than encouraged because we know the potential outcome and are seasoned enough to know how to handle any issues.   A wedding cake and a child's first birthday cake will send you to cake prison if not done 100% correct.   

BatterUpCake Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:37pm
post #53 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Nicki...I am sorry you are getting beat up......unfortunately, it is going to happen on a cake decorating forum.   It's like me watching Grey's Anatomy and going to a medical forum and announcing that I am performing surgery because it looks easy on Grey's Anatomy and asking what a scalpel is.   The medical people would chew me up.   Just get tough....and listen to all of the advice...and unfortunately tough love that will be offered.   You are going to be criticized more than encouraged because we know the potential outcome and are seasoned enough to know how to handle any issues.   A wedding cake and a child's first birthday cake will send you to cake prison if not done 100% correct.   

While deployed I watched every season of Nip Tuck, Scrubs and House. I came home a diagnostician...

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:54pm
post #54 of 165

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

Again, you can say just about anything to anyone to get your point across, it's just how you say it. Not everyone is tough, nor should they be. We want to feel as though we can come here to learn and not be attacked. I can shoot back with the best of them but, for my standards, I choose not..and never will. If I can't help, I will not hurt. Good luck girl!! She is extremely lucky to have a friend like you....I know, because I have one and she tells me the same. Btw, I am medical and I would not chew anyone up..we explain in simple terms the cause and affects so that you can make an informed decision.

ddaigle Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:35pm
post #55 of 165

I don't think I was rude...I didn't mean to be anyway.....I was honest...and I don't sugar coat.   That may make the thin skinned cringe.  This is not romper room....she needs to hear the good...the bad....and the ugly.    Facts are facts.   

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:39pm
post #56 of 165

If you are still looking for a topper, check out Etsy. There are some beautiful hand-crafted toppers in many different mediums. 

BatterUpCake Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm
post #57 of 165

I think she said the bride already had a topper

Nickithebaker Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:44pm
post #58 of 165

CC has been holding my posts for moderation, so I'm not sure when this will show up.

Yesterday I used the Red Velvet recipe and halved it.  I made two 9 x 13 cakes and 2 8 x 8 cakes in a brownie pan.    Needless to say they didn't have sharp edges.. 

I also had a hard time leveling them.  I didn't have a long serrated knife, and since I'm going to order a cake leveler online didn't want to buy one.  So I tried to use a chef knife... didn't work to well.  A small steak knife was slightly better.    

I had a huge problem with the cake being crumbly while trying to level.  Is this normal?  Should I bake it longer? 

I made the "crusting butter cream" - I didn't have hi-yield shortening so I used Crisco.  The icing didn't turn out well.. was this due to not using the proper shortening?  I did end up doing the crumb coat with it though.   I had to keep dipping my butter knife (couldn't find my frosting knife and the store was closed icon_sad.gif)  in hot water to get the icing to stick to the cake and spread. 

I made Wilton butter cream since I am familiar with that and know it turns out well.  I used that to fill and level the cakes.   I am shocked at the amount of icing I needed to make these cakes level and square-ish!!  I think I used 5 2lb bags of PS yesterday.  

Our store didn't have any fondant (out for 2 weeks!) so I made MMF with a recipe I found here.  I hope I did it right.    

Right now I have to finish the larger cake, I'm having a hard time with the corners.  I'm using a spatula and a bench scraper.  My husband is a contractor and quite good with drywall... so he came along and showed me how to get better results.   haha.  

I don't think I'm going to make a square cake.  It's to much work and it takes to long.  Corners are hard.  

Here are a few pictures... I will get back to you guys after I have tried the fondant.   

I have to order everything online - and I need to do this today.  Can someone please recommend the easiest to use fondant? 

BatterUpCake Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:44pm
post #59 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I don't think I was rude...I didn't mean to be anyway.....I was honest...and I don't sugar coat.   That may make the thin skinned cringe.  This is not romper room....she needs to hear the good...the bad....and the ugly.    Facts are facts.   

Amen Sarge!

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:45pm
post #60 of 165

I'm a home baker too, and I come here for advice often, but I don't come in announcing to professional bakers that I'm doing my first cake and it's a wedding cake and I've only ever worked with a star tip.  You ask professionals for advice, you should be prepared to accept their advice.  Maybe the bride & groom have difficult circumstances where getting a bakery-cake isn't possible, but I think you should still be prepared for backlash if your cake isn't 100% perfect to the bride's (and family's) standards.  I don't think anyone here was being rude to you. 

That said, I think you should do several practice runs with dummies or even real cake.  I don't think it's impossible for you to pull this off.  But it is probably more work than you think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%