Wedding Cake

Decorating By Nickithebaker Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 6:51pm by SystemMod1

Nickithebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickithebaker Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:22pm
post #151 of 165

AI have no idea what I did to upset you guys, the practice cake was my first stacked cake, the wedding my second. I'm on my way to work, but tonight I'm going to go back thorough private messages and see what was said. I don't feel I lied or tried to take advantage of anyone and if you do I'm sorry.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:25pm
post #152 of 165

Ok, I'm on page 4.  Honestly, I haven't seen anything out of line so far.

I know the OP was a bit offended by someone asking if she was a troll.  I'm going to stick up for that comment.  Based on all the troll behavior we had at the time, it really was a legitimate questions.  Many members were thinking it.  She just happened to be the one to ask.  It wasn't meant to be mean. And, there really were some legitimate reasons to ask.

In the 4 pages of replies, I counted 3 posts that could be considered a bit rude, but not mean, and no one was attacking.

I consider myself to be a very sensitive person.  I still don't find anything out of line.  

I would ask you to quote some examples except I think this distracts from my recent post that all of our comments were based on an exaggerated fallacy.  Had OP relayed her true experience, she would have gotten a great deal less pessimism and a great deal more advice & encouragement.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:29pm
post #153 of 165

Let me make it easy for you:

Quote:

"I probably knew how to do a bit more than I let on.. I just didn't have technical names for things and I had never done fondant.  I've made and decorated tons of cupcakes and I have ok piping skills, I can make a few frosting flowers.  I know how to torte a cake and fill it, and level it (I suck at that though)  and also crumb coat it.  Since I've never done a project this big I really wanted some good advice and thought I would get more advice if it looked like I didn't know as much.  Almost back fired on me!   I of course didn't realize what a big deal squares were, or the best technique for getting such smooth butter cream.  Or which support system to use.. I was going to go for plastic dowels, but ended up getting the SPS.  It's really not that much money.. and I want it to be perfect.   

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:37pm
post #154 of 165

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Let me make it easy for you:

Quote: [COLOR=666666][COLOR=FF0000]"[/COLOR][B][COLOR=FF0000]I probably knew how to do a bit more than I let on[/COLOR].[/B]. I just didn't have technical names for things and I had never done fondant.  I've made and decorated tons of cupcakes and I have ok piping skills, I can make a few frosting flowers.  I know how to torte a cake and fill it, and level it (I suck at that though)  and also crumb coat it.  Since I've never done a project this big I really wanted some good advice and [COLOR=FF0000][B]thought I would get more advice if it looked like I didn't know as much.[/B][/COLOR] [B] Almost back fired on me!  [/B] I of course didn't realize what a big deal squares were, or the best technique for getting such smooth butter cream.  Or which support system to use.. I was going to go for plastic dowels, but ended up getting the SPS.  It's really not that much money.. and I want it to be perfect.   [/COLOR]

If that is a PM, that is not cool. I don't know what upset you, but I don't see it as lying if she downplayed her experience a bit. I know how to do a helluvalot of stuff, but maybe someone has a better way to do it, and I want to have as much info as possible to achieve the best possible outcome. Maybe someone else's way is better than mine.

I fail to see what the OP did wrong here.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:48pm
post #155 of 165

One thing to ask for help.  Whole other to present yourself as having less experience than you do.  

Those of us who are upset are so because we feel doopped.  We feel played.

The ironic part of the whole story is that I would have given her far more encouragement and less caution if I had known she had more experience than a couple of Wilton courses & a star tip.  I also wouldn't have wasted some of my time explaining basics she already knew.  

She even states she knew she was exaggerating and that she was doing it to manipulate us into offering more help than she thought she would have gotten.

Nickithebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickithebaker Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:55pm
post #156 of 165

This is absolutely crazy.  

I have never taken a class.  I have never made a stacked cake before that square one. I have made cupcakes for my friends baby showers / bridal showers.   I do not have a business nor have I ever sold a cupcake or cake.   I can split a cake and fill it with frosting and crumb coat it.  Who can't?  I never asked how to do that.  I did not set out to "manipulate" or "take advantage" of anyone.  If that is how you feel, sorry.   

Go back and read my first post.  I specifically asked what brand of fondant was the best, what support system to use and what kind of cake pans you guys liked.  

I am now upset enough that I am checking this at work when I should be doing a quote. 

Clearly I just need to delete this account and move on with my life.  I have way to much going on in my life right now to be stressing about what a bunch of people whom I have never met and never will meet think about me.    

If ya'll want to think I'm a liar and what not, have at it.  I'm out. 

DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:03pm
post #157 of 165

See, now I feel really bad.  Not sure that I should.

I do feel manipulated.  And I do think you meant to do just that.  You wrote that you thought you would get more help if you exaggerated your level of knowledge.  That, is manipulation.  

2. To influence or manage shrewdly or deviously: He manipulated public opinion in his favor.
3. To tamper with or falsify for personal gain: tried to manipulate stock prices.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.  I honestly tried to go back and delete what I wrote.  As I was trying, you answered.  

I'm not trying to run anyone off.  There is room for everybody.  And certainly, everyone will get over this.  I just don't think it is fair to allow people to assume there was this miraculous transformation from someone who didn't know anything to a very well done cake.  It's not fair to those who feel manipulated and it's not fair to someone who could get the impression they could jump right in and make a wedding cake.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:06pm
post #158 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickithebaker 

I have no idea what I did to upset you guys, the practice cake was my first stacked cake, the wedding my second. I'm on my way to work, but tonight I'm going to go back thorough private messages and see what was said. I don't feel I lied or tried to take advantage of anyone and if you do I'm sorry.

I feel really, really naive. I like to think the best of people and it's a kick in the teeth to feel misled and manipulated. 

I truly wanted you to be successful, I took time away from my family to find links for you and give you any advice I could, just to find out later that I was duped. That hurts. I don't understand.

I'm glad your cake turned out well and your cousin was pleased.

Soldiernurse...there are a lot of people on cc who put their hearts out there to help other people. What you see as "negativity" is most of the time coming from a place of compassion because we can see the disaster coming.  It gets old, reading all the responses to people who were genuinely expressing concerns, being called "mean or negative" over and over. Emotions can't always be read correctly through emails and I think you are misreading a lot of the comments that were posted on here because you have not gotten to know the people behind the posts.
DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:12pm
post #159 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

, just to find out later that I was duped. Thank you for spelling that correctly for me!

I'm glad your cake turned out well and your cousin was pleased.  Honestly, truly feel the same.

Soldiernurse...there are a lot of people on cc who put their hearts out there to help other people. What you see as "negativity" is most of the time coming from a place of compassion because we can see the disaster coming.  It gets old, reading all the responses to people who were genuinely expressing concerns, being called "mean or negative" over and over. Emotions can't always be read correctly through emails and I think you are misreading a lot of the comments that were posted on here because you have not gotten to know the people behind the posts.
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:16pm
post #160 of 165

AJeez what is wrong with you people? Have you got nothing better to do?

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm
post #161 of 165

This thread is being moved out of public view so I can review it.  It may or may not re-appear.

SystemMod1 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:49pm
post #162 of 165

It's unfortunate this thread is being deleted because there is a ton of helpful advice on here.  However I do want to comment on a few things:

Although many of our wonderful CC members are out in the open, so to speak, lots of members choose to be anonymous or at least keep private details private.  Nobody here owes you any explanation or truth about who they are or their skill level - and they certainly do not need to submit a resume of their work to get the benefit of your advice and expertise.  If someone posts in these forums asking for advice you can either give the advice or not - nobody is forcing you, just like nobody is forcing them to take your advice.  

Publicly shaming anyone, especially when you think you may know something about someone you've only "met" in these forums will not be tolerated.  It is the complete opposite of the mission statement of Cake Central.

SystemMod1 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:51pm
post #163 of 165

Correction, I've decided to lock it to further comment.

SystemMod1 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 6:51pm
post #164 of 165

This thread has its course, thank you for your participation!

SystemMod1 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 6:51pm
post #165 of 165

This thread has its course, thank you for your participation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%