Have Someone Else Come In And Do Birthday Cakes?

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 2:24am by amalgamate

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 6:24am
post #31 of 33

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I would love someone to do figure work for me, I really would love to be able to whip out beautiful people and pets, but I am not interested in it enough to practice.

Precisely how I feel about flowers lol

hislilbaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hislilbaker89 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 8:51am
post #32 of 33

ATy I'll check into that...glad it isn't illegal either way lol. Anymore u would probably get caught doing pretty much anything and then have to pay uncle say for something.

Original message sent by jason_kraft

The distinction between contractor and employee (from the IRS and the state) can sometimes be unclear. The best thing to do if you have a question is to contact a local attorney with expertise in state and federal labor laws.

amalgamate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amalgamate Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:24am
post #33 of 33

I work as a decorator for a bakery and see it as a learning opportunity and a time to practice with tools that I currently can't afford. If I decide I enjoy it enough, I will likely break out on my own. I can't offer any knowledge/experience with your particular work arrangement, but here are a few random thoughts:                

Is she interested in decorating the same thing as your specialty (is it wedding cakes?) or is her interest in an area that you don't like to do as well? (I get tired of flowers and would rather not do wedding cakes.)

Does she have an interest in baking and will she want to break out on her own or is her interest only in decorating?

Is she simply looking for an opportunity to decorate, no matter who it's for, or is she wanting to make a name for herself with her own business?

Could it be a mentor/mentee work relationship? You said she has potential, so does that mean there's a lot she can learn from you?

Will she be planning to refer clients to you when friends and acquaintances ask her for cakes? If she hopes to go out on her own at some point, some clients will likely stick with her if she stays in the area. Are you okay with that?   Good luck with whatever ya'll decide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%