New At Fondant

Decorating By plakins Updated 22 Aug 2013 , 1:37am by Smckinney07

plakins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plakins Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 7

AI'am very new at decorating, just finished classes. I was told that the best place to purchase fondant is online at global sugar art. Can anyone tell me if this is the best place or is there somewhere better. With being a new small business I need to make sure it tastes good but I can't afford to spend a fortune. Thank you

6 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Depends....I buy Satin Ice for my black & brown...but for my white I buy Fondx.   A 10# bucket at GSA is $39.99.   It is $30.99 at Sweet Wise and they have 20% off coupons very often. 

When I started off I made my own.  I just used it for accent pieces.   It is the cheapest route but as my orders increased, I now buy it. 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 7

I prefer Fondarific.  I purchase at Global and take advantage of the free shipping.

plakins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plakins Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

AThank you so much I am going to do that and only use it for accent pieces. I'am still trying to get good with buttercream.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

.......When I started off I made my own.  I just used it for accent pieces.   It is the cheapest route but as my orders increased, I now buy it. 

only a few people seem to make their own.  How did it taste without all the added chems/preservatives, and was it just as nice to work with? It's on my list of projected Mad Scientist Experiments.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

MB ..you are a hoot!   I made my own MMF and added different flavorings.  It did taste good..but my fondant work was for minimal accent pieces and even they got pulled off...so I wasn't too concerned about spiking up the flavor because none of my customers were eating it.  It is different to work with as I recall.   But for starting out, I don't think it's a horrible idea. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 1:37am
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by plakins

Thank you so much I am going to do that and only use it for accent pieces. I'am still trying to get good with buttercream.

I want to encourage you to focus on your BC first, yes get some fondant and practice but you need to cover the basics first. You said being a small business you need to keep costs down, I would not recommend going into business until you can properly ice a cake (at the very least)! Please don't interpret my comments as being rude! I completely understand the desire to start a business but jumping in right after you've completed a couple courses is a very bad idea.

Practice on cake dummies, perfect your recipes, get a business plan together, speak to your local health department (depending on where you live there could be several things you need to finalize before going into business and they'll help you so utilize them!), get a pricing structure in place, make cakes for every event you can think of, donate cakes, practice, practice, practice. If you want to be successful and have a thriving business you really need to go about it the right way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%