Chinook Wedding Cake Topper

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 21 Aug 2013 , 5:13pm by whiteangel

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 12:04am
post #1 of 6

I got a request for pricing today for a wedding cake that has a Chinook helicopter as the cake topper. Here's a picture of an actual chinook.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I thought that modeling chocolate would be the easiest to work with, but do not know how to go about doing the blades. The chinook has VERY long blades.

How much would you charge for something like this?

TIA!

5 replies
whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 12:34am
post #2 of 6

No pic but I would use gumpaste and fondant mixed together, maybe 40% fondant and 60% gumpaste, for the blades.

lkern777 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 1:07am
post #3 of 6

Sorry! Here's the attachment! Thanks for the response, whiteangel.

whiteangel Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 6

No problem hon on the missing pic.  I know what one looks like.  I would difinitely use gumpaste with a little fondant to keep it from being so fragile. Depending on the size you are making, maybe a long popsicle stick in the middle if it is too fragile.   If it is a longer, a milk jug cut up and shaped like the blades and then covered in your fondant/gumpaste. 

lkern777 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 6

Oh I love the idea of the cut up milk jug. I was trying to think of something sort of stiff, but still a little flexible to make the blades with. They curve down when not running and I couldn't think of anything to give that look.

Thanks!

whiteangel Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

I have done so very wild and wacky things for Halloween and milk jugs are wonderful for so many things!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%