Coconut Cake, Filling And Fondant Advice Please

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 20 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm by whiteangel

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 12:49am
post #1 of 14

I am making a 4-tier cake for my daughter's Sweet 16 - in October so no rush but making sure I have everything answered before then.  I will start making flowers in a week or so.  Only a hobby decorator so I am very slow and way too much of a perfectionist

The 10" round will be the Ultimate 12-layer Coconut Cake listed here

http://www.justluxe.com/lifestyle/dining/feature-1924959.php

Nope it won't be all 12 layers more like 4 with each 2" layer only torted once.  The filling calls for heavy cream and butter.  Will this be an issue with the cake at room temps for at least two days?

I plan to use the frosting they suggest and depending on what the answer is to the above I may have to change to more of a coconut frosting.  This will then be covered in fondant.

Been reading that I can frost the cake with at least 1/4" of frosting, chill till hardened and then put the fondant on.  Am I correct that the fondant won't sweat and turn into a goopy mess by putting it on chilled BC?  My fondant is MMF that I make myself using this recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

I haven't made this one before but I have made a ton of MMF plain but want something better tasting than just MMF and hoping to roll it thin 1/8" or less so it isn't so chewy. 

I ALWAYS get the dreaded bulge, ALWAYS.  Have read about weighing it down over night helps settle the cakes.  Did it, still got it.  Haven't chilled the B/C before putting the fondant on as I have read on here that it causes the the fondant to weep and turns it to goo.  Also read that by chilling the finished iced cake that this keeps the bulge from happening.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

13 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:22am
post #2 of 14
I have made this recipe many times and it is wonderful. I don't cover my cakes with fondant so I can't answer those questions. This cake  needs to be kept refrigerated until an hour or so before you serve it. I hope your daughter loves it. My mom requests this cake every year for her birthday.
Krypto Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:25am
post #3 of 14

Friendly advice, the filling has to set up over night so plan accordingly. I learned the hard way the first time I made the cake. icon_sad.gif

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:30am
post #4 of 14

I'm giving you a link to a thread I just re-read myself.  I personally do not have a problem with bulges as I use SMBC or ganache and chilled before fondant.  I suspect you are either over filling and also need a stiffer dam.  The link will discuss this also.

http://cakecentral.com/t/722652/help-icing-ring-bulge-under-fondant

Hope this helps,

Jeanne

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:44am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto 

I have made this recipe many times and it is wonderful. I don't cover my cakes with fondant so I can't answer those questions. This cake  needs to be kept refrigerated until an hour or so before you serve it. I hope your daughter loves it. My mom requests this cake every year for her birthday.

So would need to decorate this cake last - it will be stenciled damask - and how long can I keep it in the fridge?  The party will be a Saturday evening, with Friday spent decorating and getting other things done.  In other words, the cake has to be finished by Thursday.

The base cake will be a 16" dummy so that helps in planning as it can be done in advance.  Not fun trying to cover it with one piece of fondant let me tell you.  Have done it before and wow, took 4 times before I got it on without tears and cracks!!

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:52am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

I'm giving you a link to a thread I just re-read myself.  I personally do not have a problem with bulges as I use SMBC or ganache and chilled before fondant.  I suspect you are either over filling and also need a stiffer dam.  The link will discuss this also.

http://cakecentral.com/t/722652/help-icing-ring-bulge-under-fondant

Hope this helps,

Jeanne

First, thank you for your link.  I have actually read it, lol.

Usually I have only used a very thin layer of BC for filling.  Have since learned that when using BC as a filling it should be medium to stiff and the dam should be stiff.  I just worry that the dam will lift the edges of the cake.  This won't be a problem?

Had thought about using ganache (read the thread "never using bc under fondant again") until I figured out how much white chocolate I would need and how much that would all cost.  Yikes.  Used the ganache-o-nator to calculate how much I would need for a 12" square, a 10" round and a 6" round, that's a lot of chocolate. 

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:54am
post #7 of 14
Quote:

Thank you Krypto1  Does the cake have a nice coconut flavor?  Is it too sweet?  This is for teenagers so not really a problem, but an overly sweet cake isn't my daughter's favorite thing.

Krypto Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:19am
post #8 of 14

You can keep it in the fridge at least 3 day as long as it's covered really well. It has a very nice coconut flavor. Follow the cake directions exactly. Don't skip the simple syrup or it will be a little dry. I don't care for the cream cheese icing recipe (too sweet!) so I use buttercream with coconut extract and vanilla bean paste.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:28am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteangel 

First, thank you for your link.  I have actually read it, lol.

Usually I have only used a very thin layer of BC for filling.  Have since learned that when using BC as a filling it should be medium to stiff and the dam should be stiff.  I just worry that the dam will lift the edges of the cake.  This won't be a problem?

Had thought about using ganache (read the thread "never using BC under fondant again") until I figured out how much white chocolate I would need and how much that would all cost.  Yikes.  Used the ganache-o-nator to calculate how much I would need for a 12" square, a 10" round and a 6" round, that's a lot of chocolate. 

Before I learned how to make ganache & SMBC, I used a reg, butter cream with a stiff dam - I never had a problem with edges being lifted.  The weight of your cake should hold things in place.  Smooth out and fill in any holes between layers and let settle. Butter cream a normal amount, let crust or chill.  if you are going to have a topper you can use a skewer and poke a hole through your finished fondant to help any trapped air escape. 

Leah_S uses a tile on her cakes when settling to help air pockets dissipate. 

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:31am
post #10 of 14
Quote:

You can keep it in the fridge at least 3 day as long as it's covered really well. It has a very nice coconut flavor. Follow the cake directions exactly. Don't skip the simple syrup or it will be a little dry. I don't care for the cream cheese icing recipe (too sweet!) so I use buttercream with coconut extract and vanilla bean paste.

I thought the cc filling might be too sweet, thanks for the tip on that!!  The 12" sq will be german choc cake, pecan/coconut filling and whipped BC frosting, so that won't be an issue with leaving out.

Krypto Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:33am
post #11 of 14

That sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors!

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:38am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Before I learned how to make ganache & SMBC, I used a reg, butter cream with a stiff dam - I never had a problem with edges being lifted.  The weight of your cake should hold things in place.  Smooth out and fill in any holes between layers and let settle. Butter cream a normal amount, let crust or chill.  if you are going to have a topper you can use a skewer and poke a hole through your finished fondant to help any trapped air escape. 

Leah_S uses a tile on her cakes when settling to help air pockets dissipate. 

There will be 6" styrofoam dividers between each level, so I can poke a hole in the center to let out any air.  If this was for a wedding cake and not a Sweet 16 with mostly teenagers - about 75 of them, I would think about the ganache as it looked like it made such a smooth cake.  I have worked for what seems like hours making sure that fondant is as smooth as possible.  Couldn't have been that long or it would have been too hard at that point icon_biggrin.gif

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #13 of 14

So my chilling the fully frosted cakes till the BC is solid and then pulling the fondant on, won't make a gooy mess?  Especially on the coconut cake that has to stay in the fridge?  This is the part that is really making me nervous

whiteangel Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteangel 

So my chilling the fully frosted cakes till the BC is solid and then pulling the fondant on, won't make a gooy mess?  Especially on the coconut cake that has to stay in the fridge?  This is the part that is really making me nervous

Forgot to add, how many of you have frozen your fondant covered cakes and had then turn out okay after fully thawing and drying?  Maybe I should make a new thread for that answer??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%