Baking Different Size Cakes Together?

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 1:56pm by ddaigle

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 3

So I tried a wasc wedding cake recipe from food.com that had wonderful reviews and I did not like the way it turned out! Was wayyyy to dry. I used baking strips and the center was still a little wet. I baked a 10" round and I had sooo much batter left over that I had to wait and bake 2 6" round cakes. Anyway, can I bake different size cakes together on separate racks? I was thinking maybe my 10" and a 8", or two 6" and a 8". I am worried if I open the oven they will sink in the middle.

Another thing, do you fill your pans half way or a little over half way?

I am going back to the original wasc recipe instead of the one I mentioned. For some reason when I made this cake a year ago, I added cake flour. I remember buying it, but when I looked at the recipe it calls for A-P. hmmm...I know I used cake flour lol.

Thanks

2 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 3

AMost of us shove in as many pans as we can. When you have upwards of 10 to 12 pans to bake, there's no waiting around. Gotta know your oven and hot spots if you have any, and rotate appropriately.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 3

I also load up my oven and bake many sizes..also going in at different times too.    I have about 4 magnetic timers that are lined up on my oven so I can keep track of the different cakes.   I open and close my door too without any problem.   I fill my pans up 2/3 full.   With the additional ingredients making the WASC a more heavier can that strictly box...it needs to bake longer at a lower temp.    I bake at 325. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%