Big Order

Business By liveyloce Updated 21 Aug 2013 , 4:54am by love2bake131

liveyloce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liveyloce Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:58am
post #1 of 13

Okay...I have a wedding on the 31st to do and it is the largest order I have taken. I know I can do it, it is just the time table that makes me nervous. I was able to do this full time during the summer, but school is starting on Tuesday and I am a full time art teacher. The party wants a small two tiered cake 9in bottom and 6in top, a sheet cake and 500 cup cakes. Question, when can I start baking all of the cakes and cup cakes? How do I store them in the freezer (wrapped etc.) and when should I be able to start frosting and still have them taste fresh and moist on Saturday? Please Help!

12 replies
mjbarbee516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjbarbee516 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:11am
post #2 of 13

AI've had cakes survive 24 hours at room temp with nothing but parchment paper over them until I could put the fondant on, then another 24 hours at room temp. They're still as good as they day I baked them. So a total of 48 hours out of the oven. I've read fondant covered cakes on cake plates last 3-4 days at room temp. I've also read you can freeze them wrapped in layers of plastic wrap, just let them thaw to room temp before icing them. Personally, I'd use a thermometer to check the middle, just in case cause I'm careful like that just to make sure the center is thawed. But that's just me. I don't have much luck in general with cupcakes, 1 pan of 12 gives me 12 different consistencies, so I'm not sure about those, sorry.

liveyloce Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 13

So with a set of cupcakes i have do this weekend I could bake them now and put them in an air prof container in the freezer? Can I frost them first? Also, next weekend the 31st is the weekend of the wedding. Can I make the cakes, freeze them and wrap them until Friday? Also can I do the cup cakes like this too? Since I have 500 to do.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 13

I have kept cupcakes in gallon ziplock bags in the freezer for weeks and they taste as fresh as the day I baked them. I would start now...

liveyloce Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you! I will do that...just so nervous lol Do I frost them after they are thawed out or while still frozen with buttercream..I'm self taught so still learning stuff :) thanks again

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 13

I personally find that my BC doesn't crust as fast if I put it on frozen cake. But you can do it either way I suppose. It takes very little time to frost cuppies

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 13

I  make a lot of cupcakes for different events including university galas, school concerts, and weddings. I have made 350, 500, and 900 cupcakes for a single events and over the past several months have literally made over 3,000 cupcakes. That being said, I have tried freezing cupcakes and have trouble with the wrappers wanting to stay firmly adhered once they start to thaw not to mention becoming misshapen if they are not frozen carefully. They also take up a lot of freezer space. Therefore, I no longer try to bake ahead and freeze.

I operate a home based bakery and have a convection oven. I can bake and frost 500 standard size cupcakes in about 8 hours. I just have to keep myself organized and focused. 900 cupcakes take me about 12 hours to complete. How I manage doing a large order of cupcakes and also providing other cakes is to do to the tiered cakes and/or sheet cakes first and have them done and out of the way.  I then bake the cupcakes. Let's say I had a Saturday delivery time of 12 noon for a two tier cake, sheet cake and 500 cupcakes. I would bake the tiered cake and sheet cake layers on Wednesday, let them rest 6 hours or so and then level, torte, fill and crumb coat. On Thursday I would finish these cakes. On Friday I would make all the butter cream first and have it ready to go and have tables ready to receive cooling cupcakes. I then bake about 100 and then begin getting ready to do the frosting on those. I use full size sheet cake boxes that are heavy durable corrugated cardboard. I place non-skid sheets in the bottom of the boxes and then begin to load in the cupcakes. 70 standard size fit fine in my boxes. Once they are in the boxes, I go back and frost them in between waiting for new batches of cupcakes to bake. I just keep the system going until all is done.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 12:06am
post #8 of 13

I haven't had any of those problems and I wish I had a convection oven! I know I would personally become stressed trying to do them at once like that so kudos to you! I would have probably pulled all of my hair out by the end of the day. But then I have a crazy schedule right now.

I know many people that freeze and just as many who can do it all at once. It depends on your schedule and personal preference. Another thing to consider is last minute emergencies. If you have baked ahead of time you eliminate the risks.

liveyloce Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #9 of 13

Yes, that is why I want to do somethings ahead, just in case of mistakes. I work 7:30am-4:30pm M-F and like I said I am just trying to figure out when to start baking the two cakes and 500 cupcakes. I wish I had an convection oven too, but I live in a town of 1500 people and I am a teacher, so I have a regular oven lol Would it be a mistake to bake the two cakes on sunday and wrap and freeze (they are just butter cream cakes). Then start baking the cupcakes wednesday night thru friday night and then frost. I need to have them over to the venue by 4pm, I have double layered boxes for the cupcakes. I guess I'm just asking so many questions and what not because i want to have a happy customer and do a good job.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #10 of 13

Like I said...I would start baking now....is this for this week????

liveyloce Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 3:13am
post #11 of 13

no for next weekend the wedding is on the 31st, i got 12 days to get it all done

Katya1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katya1956 Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 4:55am
post #12 of 13

Wow....Can I please ask how do you transport so many frosted cupcakes to the venu?

love2bake131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2bake131 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 4:52am
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by heartsnsync

I  make a lot of cupcakes for different events including university galas, school concerts, and weddings. I have made 350, 500, and 900 cupcakes for a single events and over the past several months have literally made over 3,000 cupcakes. That being said, I have tried freezing cupcakes and have trouble with the wrappers wanting to stay firmly adhered once they start to thaw not to mention becoming misshapen if they are not frozen carefully. They also take up a lot of freezer space. Therefore, I no longer try to bake ahead and freeze.

I operate a home based bakery and have a convection oven. I can bake and frost 500 standard size cupcakes in about 8 hours. I just have to keep myself organized and focused. 900 cupcakes take me about 12 hours to complete. How I manage doing a large order of cupcakes and also providing other cakes is to do to the tiered cakes and/or sheet cakes first and have them done and out of the way.  I then bake the cupcakes. Let's say I had a Saturday delivery time of 12 noon for a two tier cake, sheet cake and 500 cupcakes. I would bake the tiered cake and sheet cake layers on Wednesday, let them rest 6 hours or so and then level, torte, fill and crumb coat. On Thursday I would finish these cakes. On Friday I would make all the butter cream first and have it ready to go and have tables ready to receive cooling cupcakes. I then bake about 100 and then begin getting ready to do the frosting on those. I use full size sheet cake boxes that are heavy durable corrugated cardboard. I place non-skid sheets in the bottom of the boxes and then begin to load in the cupcakes. 70 standard size fit fine in my boxes. Once they are in the boxes, I go back and frost them in between waiting for new batches of cupcakes to bake. I just keep the system going until all is done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%