Help - Edible Birthday Cake

Baking By miyuusna

miyuusna Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 1

AHello everyone I'm new to this forum and new to cake baking and decorating. In a month my son will be turning one and I'm putting a lot of effort into making the perfect cake for him. I have the design ready but I can't for the life of me work out what kind of cake to make. The thing is that I myself do not like cake, what a horrible thing to say right, I've been this way since childhood, cake, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, buns etc just aren't for me so I am clueless about what tastes good. However what I do like is carrot cake. So because of this, this is how I've been thinking:

I wanted to make a simple two layered cake (and also cupcakes) with a lemon kind of sponge cake (not sure if it's called sponge cake) and not have any filling. On top I want to put cream cheese icing (just like with carrot cake, powdered sugar, lemon and cream cheese, I make it more sour than sweet) however I don't want to decorate it with cream cheese icing, I want to use fondant. There are several types of fondant and there is a cream cheese type though but I don't I can add lemon to it to make it less sweet.

Does anyone have any idea of a cake a can do? With a fondant that won't ruin the cake taste? But still the cake isn't super duper sweet? I don't think I can make buttercream as I had a cupcake with it last week to try and I just feel sick from all the butter. Maybe I won't like the cake so much but I want to feel confident that the guests will like it, a tasteful cake that isn't too sweet.. Is it possible to do anything with the idea I have so far?

I'm sorry for all the rambling, but thank you for reading it all!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%