50/50 Fondant/modeling Chocolate Questions

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 1:42am by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I searched the forums as well as good ol' google and I'm still left wanting for some information with working with 50/50 fondant/chocolate.  I didn't even know you could mix the two until I saw NerdAche Cakes say that's what she uses and her figures are awesome.  I use 50/50 gumpaste so I was just wondering how it compares when making figures? Is the drying time comparable? Also, I find that trying to make tiny parts (little lips, noses eyes, etc) to be challenging, mine get sticky from the heat of my hands, would this happen with the chocolate as well? 

Any experience with this is welcomed and appreciated! I have never made modeling chocolate, but if you guys say it's worth it I will certainly try! Thanks! :)

5 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 6

AI like using modeling chocolate, I'll mix with fondant to cover cakes also. It's easier to blend in seams and build up a character when using MC. It's chocolate so it hardens quickly but when your working with it sometimes you have to stop and walk away, especially if your hands get warm b/c it will soften the chocolate. You could always wear cotton gloves but they can be a pain. I use them if I'm making a chocolate high heel from a mold but not when modeling.

If you use Gumpaste try putting crisco on your hands that helps with the stickiness. I think it just depends on what your making and your preference. I've seen beautiful things done with both! ChokoLate has a new book out, I'm waiting for translation she does beautiful figures in all modeling chocolate. I'll attach a link.

It's really easy to make, it's worth trying. I use it often

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

Ahttp://cakesdecor.com/ChokoLate Check out her FB page too, she's amazing! There are tutorials on both, her FB page has some face pictorials.

Any medium takes practice, make a batch and split it up-mix some with fondant and some plain and see what you like best.

costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 6

If you mix fondant and modeling chocolate it won't ever REALLY dry out. It will get solid but it doesn't dry the same way as gumpaste or fondant does. I use a 50/50 occasionally, depends on what I'm doing.

JaeRodriguez Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:41am
post #5 of 6

AThanks you guys! I did read that it won't dry completely, I guess I will do as suggested and try it myself! Or just stick to fondant/gumpaste! I just didn't know if there were any perks to using it as opposed to the gumpaste/fondant mix.

JaeRodriguez Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6

ASmckinney- WOW, just looked at her work, that is pretty amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%