Can I Put Fondant Decorations On A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 1:45am by Jennifer Gibson

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a three tier beach themed caked and I was wondering if I could add fondant decorations like fondant shells and starfish made in molds without them sliding or melting. I usually make my buttercream with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Any thoughts?

5 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

AYes, they shouldn't slide or melt. If you want them to rest around the border of your cake let them harden first then attach with BC and hold in place for a second. If you want it to form to the cake apply decorations before they harden.

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you. I have some that will rest around the borders like shells. But I also have some palm frans that I need to put on the cake. I did already make them and they are hardening but I could make them later when it's time to put the cake together. What would happen to the hardened fondant on the buttercream?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 6

AOh nothing! I just meant if you wanted say a plaque on the cake to form to the shape of the cake you'd obviously want to attach it before it dries. I'm good at confusing people ;)

It's fine if it's hard already! You just can't manipulate it to bend without breaking it-that's all I wanted to point out. Either way it's fine to apply to BC.

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 6

Lol! Thanks - now I understand. Do you just apply the fondant or do you use piping gel or something else?

Jennifer Gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer Gibson Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

ACan Someone Tell Me If I Can Freeze Fondant?? And How It Will Defrost? Concerned About It Bleeding On The Cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%