Making Branded Cakes

Decorating By Chfmel Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 3:57pm by BatterUpCake

Chfmel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chfmel Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 5

I have a question about making cakes that are a character/sport team logo or something along those lines. For instance, if you want to make a cars themed cake, is that ok or are you stepping on patented material and doing a copyrighted design. If you have to have "permission" how do you get it?
How do you get around this? Do you do them or not? Just wanting to get some thoughts on this topic. Thanks.

4 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 5

You need to get permission.....or purchase a licensed toy. I will make them for my granddaughter, but I will not sell them. Just google copyright permission then the name of the company.

Chfmel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chfmel Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 5

How do you get permission? Do you have to have it for every single cake or do you just get a blanket permission from a company?

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfmel 

How do you get permission? Do you have to have it for every single cake or do you just get a blanket permission from a company?

I don't think anyone gives blanket permission.  They really want you or your customer to buy the plastic figures to put on the cakes.  I tried with Seseme Place - They don't give permission.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 5

The easiest approach is to recreate the theme and just purchase or have the customer purchase the toy. It is not worth tarnishing your reputation or a lawsuit. Plus with the time it would take you to make the figurine it comes out cheaper...if you are properly charging for your labor and materials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%