Smbc Help!

Decorating By CupcakesByIrene Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 5:06am by AZCouture

CupcakesByIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesByIrene Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys ive been following this forum for about a year now everyones questions and answers are very helpful! I am a home baker and i am making a cake for a baptism. My question is...i have fallen in love with SMBC it is my favorite to use for my cakes but here is my issue, the cake i am making is 2 tiers the bottom tier is going to be fondant and the top tier is going to have ruffles with SMBC BUT the cake will be picked up friday and served on sunday. Can the cake be left out from friday- sunday? Im not worried about the fondant and im not using any perishable fillings im just worried about the SMBC. So what do i do? I know i cant put fondant in the fridge so im stuck! Hopefully someone can answer my question! 

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 7

AYes you can, every single cake in my galleries is smbc, and they go in the fridge every single time. They stay in there until I decide it's time for them to come out to start coming back to serving temp before delivery.

CupcakesByIrene Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Yes you can, every single cake in my galleries is smbc, and they go in the fridge every single time. They stay in there until I decide it's time for them to come out to start coming back to serving temp before delivery.

Wow your cakes are beautiful!!! So youre saying even though the bottom tier is fondant i cant put it in the fridge and take it out the day of and the fondant color wont run or anything and how much time before serving does it need to come to room temp again? 

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 7

What exactly are you doing, painting the fondant? Air brushing it?

CupcakesByIrene Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:27am
post #5 of 7

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

What exactly are you doing, painting the fondant? Air brushing it?

I'm not doing anything special to it just coloring it purple and covering the cake and possibly adding some fondant decorations too.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:03am
post #6 of 7

Yes you can refrigerate fondant!  I refrigerate every single fondant cake I make.  Makes transportation easier.

And yes, the SMBC will be fine left out that long however I find it starts getting a stale flavor on the 3rd day.  So refrigerate it if you can just so it tastes as yummy the day they eat it as the day you made it.

AZCouture Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:06am
post #7 of 7

AShouldn't have problems then. If you have lots of humidity, you should aim a large fan at it when you do take it out of the fridge for awhile to help speed up drying if it happens to start forming condensation. Don't freak if it does, just keep air blowing on it. Your cake room should be nice and cool too. I keep mine at about 76 this time of year.

Another suggestion would be to put the cake in a cardboard box in the fridge as well, and keep it in that box once you take it out to come back to serving temperature. This gives any moisture a different place to collect, rather than on your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%