Do You Say It's A Nice Cake When It's Not?

Lounge By AZCouture Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm by scrumdiddlycakes

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 64

Another excellent article from our own Costumeczar. Sorry if you were gonna post it Kara, I couldn't help myself it's so dang good!

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/08/if-you-cant-say-something-nicetell-truth.html

63 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 64

Terrific article. Everyone on CC should read it.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 64

Good article...I totally agree but you cant be honest here on CC or you'll get ran over by the cheerleaders.  A lot of people here sugar coat crappy cakes and offer compliments about how nice it looks.  I have seen some crap get great reviews.   I just don't comment at all.  I don't have the time or patience for the fights or drama.  I probably shouldn't have even made these comments.   

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 64

AThat is a great article. I love the compliments I get from people who don't cake, but from those who know what they are doing I would much rather get the truth and advice on how to improve

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 64

AWhat's sad is the people who REALLY need to heed the advice WON'T. I pray that at least one person takes the advice though. It's a well written article. It's all said as tactful as possible! Loved it!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 64

"There is something wrong with using a paid cake as your learning curve."

That line made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 64

Excellent article - Like the box video at the bottom too icon_smile.gif

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 64

AGreat article.

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 64

AI've been speaking up more and will continue to do so in a helpful manner. The thing is, the people that start the particular topic don't own the whole conversation. Maybe they won't be receptive to some help, but others might be and can relate to their own situations.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 64

love it! 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 64

Yes, very good article, Kara. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

Good article...I totally agree but you cant be honest here on CC or you'll get ran over by the cheerleaders.  A lot of people here sugar coat crappy cakes and offer compliments about how nice it looks.  I have seen some crap get great reviews.   I just don't comment at all.  I don't have the time or patience for the fights or drama.  I probably shouldn't have even made these comments.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I've been speaking up more and will continue to do so in a helpful manner. The thing is, the people that start the particular topic don't own the whole conversation. Maybe they won't be receptive to some help, but others might be and can relate to their own situations.

Is it wrong of me to want responses in the business forum restricted to people who understand business? I continually see bad advice given by people who have no business giving business advice.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 64

Quote:

I've been speaking up more and will continue to do so in a helpful manner. The thing is, the people that start the particular topic don't own the whole conversation. Maybe they won't be receptive to some help, but others might be and can relate to their own situations.

AZCouture:  it considerate of you to post such a well written professional article.  Lots of unrealistic expectations are expressed here.  But for many threads thousands of people read it, so hundreds of people may be benefiting from your honest solid advice. CakeCentral.com is a profit making business, and not just a non-profit personal blog, thus the concern for thinned skinned peeps. CC also probably has a great appreciation of your ability to speak up in a helpful manner.

For my part, I've learned to read the Baking/Decorating Pros comments to pick out the crumbs that I may use to improve my home baking hobby.  I spend money on this hobby. I buy products from the companies recommended here.  CakeCentral profits from this two way street of commerce.

Recently I was asked by a friend and her daughter to make her 2nd wedding cake. She had photos of $2,000 cakes!! She also had Champagne taste on a serious Kool-Aid budget.

I made two points abundantly clear. First was:  No - I can't make that cake.  But here's what I know that I can do for you.  Secondly: You've eaten tons of my baking.  I'll make a wedding cake/icing taste test for you.  Evaluate it, shop around, and when you find something you like better -  give them your business.  You won't hurt my feelings, you're wedding is more important.

So, If I show you something and you say "Perfect" rather than to say "Smooth out the icing, clean up that edge, level the top better"  what has been accomplished by your fib?

If I get upset and don't take your advise, I'm a fool and will never get better.  If other readers view your fib, they'll think that you might be the fool.  I value and respect your posted opinions.

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Yes, very good article, Kara. 

Is it wrong of me to want responses in the business forum restricted to people who understand business? I continually see bad advice given by people who have no business giving business advice.

That's been suggested so many times, and it's always shot down. :(

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 64

AThanks MB. The author, Kara, is an awesome business woman, I owe a lot to what I've learned over the years to her, and many others like her.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 64
Quote:

That's been suggested so many times, and it's always shot down. :(

That's too bad. I don't understand that reasoning, I think that's one thing that causes a lot of the *ahem* hurt feelings on CC.

It's hard to tell until about 3 pages into a thread when someone is seeking last minute advice to fix their child's birthday cake and should get a pat on the back for great effort on making their kiddo's day special and the I'm-not-legally-illegal-because-they-only-paid-for-ingredients who promised some naïve person a 5 tiered masterpiece but doesn't know a spork from a spatula. (ex. the tire cake)

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 64

AGood article. Definitely something everyone should read. Some people aren't being meanies. They're being real. Appreciate the help where you can get it. I know I do.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 64

I think that if posts like CostumeCzar talks about in her excellent (as usual!) blog post are replied to with tact and fact, the OP of said thread should have no reason to take offense. I absolutely agree that you should not be charging $400 (or whatever amount) for any cake, wedding or not, that you cannot even begin to fathom how to do. 9 times out of 10 this kind of post are written 2 days before the event takes place. The problem is, the poster will often times be coached through the process by members who sugar coat stuff, and will quickly take offense at anyone who posts anything different.

AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 64

There's some pretty good commentary on my FB page about the article if anyone cares to see some more opinions and thoughts. I love when people get involved like this. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:38pm
post #19 of 64

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]Is it wrong of me to want responses in the business forum restricted to people who understand business? I continually see bad advice given by people who have no business giving business advice.[/SIZE]

Some forums handle this by creating an aggregate reputation score displayed next to all posters' names based on how often their posts have been rated positively or "liked". That's probably wishful thinking though, considering the CC forum software's built-in functionality for "liking" posts in the first place is disabled for some reason.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 64

AI think that if you give BUSINESS advice you should at least state how long you've been in business or what have you. I think the idea suggested above is a good one. I'm not sure why it would hurt someone's feelings for the business section restricted to people who have businesses!

I haven't been here that long. So I don't know If this is the norm. But my PERSONAL opinion is that a lot of people ont necessarily come here advice.they want you to solve their problems, and run their business for them. Idk maybe that's a harsh observation and correct me if I'm wrong.

And why people take orders for things they CAN'T do is beyond me. I will never understand the logic behind it. Maybe Kara, and the rest of the seasoned professionals can get through to them.

AZCouture Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:37am
post #21 of 64

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Some forums handle this by creating an aggregate reputation score displayed next to all posters' names based on how often their posts have been rated positively or "liked". That's probably wishful thinking though, considering the CC forum software's built-in functionality for "liking" posts in the first place is disabled for some reason.

So you're saying that feature has been disabled [B]purposely?[/B] Why? This topic right here would be a good example of how something like voting up posts would be [B]very[/B] helpful. Geez!

jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:40am
post #22 of 64

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

So you're saying that feature has been disabled [B]purposely?[/B] Why? This topic right here would be a good example of how something like voting up posts would be [B]very[/B] helpful. Geez!

Correct. The forum software (based on the Huddler platform) has this feature available out of the box. Click the link below for a random thread at another forum that uses the same software and note the "thumbs up" icon on every post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1483120/tcl-50-uhdtv-for-999-puts-price-pressure-on-premium-panel-producers

EDIT: Actually it only appears if you are logged in, here is a screenshot. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3079628/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

sixinarow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:54am
post #23 of 64

I see the thumbs up when I'm on my phone, but not on my PC. I want a dislike button too though, if we're gonna get all techy.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:18am
post #24 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 
..........I want a dislike button too though, if we're gonna get all techy.

oh dang......with my impoverished  decorating skills, I'm goinna get voted off the island !

jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:27am
post #25 of 64

AI'm not sure a "dislike" button is really needed, it would probably cause more problems than it would fix. Drawing attention to "liked" posts should be enough, and if a post is spam/off-topic/a personal attack you can always flag it.

sixinarow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:34am
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I'm not sure a "dislike" button is really needed, it would probably cause more problems than it would fix. Drawing attention to "liked" posts should be enough, and if a post is spam/off-topic/a personal attack you can always flag it.

See..I could "dislike" this. ^^

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:36am
post #27 of 64

AHaha Six! Get 'em! :-D

AZCouture Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:47am
post #28 of 64

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

Ha! Yeah, if we could talk them into including a like button, that would be great. Really, what could that possibly hurt? I see nothing but good coming from that.

jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #29 of 64

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

And that's a great example of why "dislike" doesn't work. If you don't like a post, it's usually better for the community as a whole to either ignore it or just post why you don't like it.

It's something of a moot point anyway, since successful social networking and forum platforms know better than to offer a "dislike" feature, at least out of the box. There's too much potential for negative ad hominem votes.

AZCouture Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 2:51am
post #30 of 64

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

And that's a great example of why "dislike" doesn't work. If you don't like a post, it's usually better for the community as a whole to either ignore it or just post why you don't like it.

To be serious for a moment, a like button would draw attention away from the replies that weren't helpful or accurate. If those were always on the bottom, because the appropriate and or correct replies were

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%