Layered Tres Leches Cake?

Decorating By es329 Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 12:05pm by anavillatoro1

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:28am
post #1 of 7

AHas anyone done a layered tres leches cake before? Do you stack and then pour the milk mixture or soak the layers individually and then try to stack?

I'm making 3 or 4 layer cake with different fillings on each layer for my aunt's birthday and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. Double my recipe and bake four separate layers or do two cakes and try to torte them?

This is the recipe I use: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/04/29/tres-leches-cake/.

6 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

AI've never done it, but I would apply the milks like simple syrup as I'm building. Hopefully someone else has some insight.

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:45am
post #3 of 7

AWhat type of fillings are you planning on using. I find this type of cake very rich with all the different milks, and have only had it with fresh cream to balance that richness.

es329 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 10:20am
post #4 of 7

AThanks kaylawaylalayla. :)

Original message sent by RubinaD

What type of fillings are you planning on using. I find this type of cake very rich with all the different milks, and have only had it with fresh cream to balance that richness.

I've had it like that before and it was good (but it was store bought and supposed to be good for a month? Yikes), but the first one I ever tried had a fruit filling, pineapple and peach, I think, so I prefer it with some type of fruit in the middle. :)

My plan is to do a layer of pineapple and then sweeten some frozen strawberries slightly and either chop them up or possibly make like a puree for the next layer and then do the same with peaches for the last layer. I usually do sliced peaches/strawberries, but I'm worried about the height/evenness, so I'm hoping chopping or pureeing them will help with that.

I've heard about a pecan filling that can be used, but I don't know how to make it. I want to find out and try it one day though. :)

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

APuree fruit is not a good idea, one's I make a tres leches whit some tipe of pastry cream for my mother in law and on the way to the party the top flow of the cake. It was awful to me fresh straberrys and cool wip is the best filling. I anm not an expert but you can check my gallery on round wedding cakes 2 layers its the most I make whit tres leches and use a doble cake board because is heavy. Good luck

es329 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 7

A

Original message sent by anavillatoro1

Puree fruit is not a good idea, one's I make a tres leches whit some tipe of pastry cream for my mother in law and on the way to the party the top flow of the cake. It was awful to me fresh straberrys and cool wip is the best filling. I anm not an expert but you can check my gallery on round wedding cakes 2 layers its the most I make whit tres leches and use a doble cake board because is heavy. Good luck

Thanks. :) I usually use fresh strawberries but the ones I've bought lately have been horrible. They get mushy fast and taste like chemicals even after you wash them. :( I might just chop the fruit if purees won't work. Do you use actual cool whip on yours? Or whipping cream?

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 7

AI do u use cool wip for filling in almost all of my cakes regular because the fat free is to soft for me, but if I don't have any wcool wip I use sift wiping creem wait for the picture

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%