Want White Sugar Roses Look Like Real White Roses (Color Not Form)

Decorating By dandydog Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 12:36pm by Chellescakes

dandydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandydog Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:00am
post #1 of 15

AHelp im making white roses for wedding cake,should i add some kind of color to make them real looking or should they be off white? They will be on white fondant. I thought plain white might not look realistic. Thanks

14 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:55am
post #2 of 15

a little bit of yellow or light green petal dust to high light?

maybe just color your fondant an off white or like an ivory color?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:15am
post #3 of 15

I use a very pale yellow petal dust mixed with ivory on the inside of each petal base. Not enough to really 'colour' it, it just adds a a bit of depth.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:15am
post #4 of 15

I use a pale green called orchid white , just in the base of the petals . Most white flowers have a slight green tinge. 

People usually try to smell the flowers I make so I guess they must look real. 

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:38am
post #5 of 15

Yes, Orchid White !

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:41am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

I use a pale green called orchid white , just in the base of the petals . Most white flowers have a slight green tinge. 

People usually try to smell the flowers I make so I guess they must look real. 

Who makes that one?

ApplegumPam Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:48am
post #7 of 15

Edable Art - available at lots of Cake Deco stores in Australia   -  guessing your WA might NOT stand for Western Australia LOL

http://www.fintouches.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=237

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:51am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Edable Art - available at lots of Cake Deco stores in Australia   -  guessing your WA might NOT stand for Western Australia LOL

http://www.fintouches.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=237

haha, no, boring old Washington state :)

Thanks, I have tried a few greens, but could never find one that looked just right, so went with yellow.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:05am
post #9 of 15

The place I order my edible glitter from, (that is actually edible, lol), has edable art dusts for half the price of what I pay for my normal ones.

I am assuming if you both use it, it is a good brand? lol. Sorry to hijack your thread, op.

Chellescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:02am
post #10 of 15

Scrumdiddly , I love that particular colour and stock up on it , I think I have three pots of it at the moment. I have quite a few of their colours and quite like them. They cut well with a little cornflour and blend nicely and usually give a true colour when steamed. 

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:22am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Scrumdiddly , I love that particular colour and stock up on it , I think I have three pots of it at the moment. I have quite a few of their colours and quite like them. They cut well with a little cornflour and blend nicely and usually give a true colour when steamed. 

I think I will try a few then, even with shipping from the UK, they are almost half the price of the ones I buy locally. Thanks :)

ApplegumPam Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:28am
post #12 of 15

Have you looked at what the postage would be from Florida? 

Compared price?

http://www.beryls.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_196_138&products_id=6058

The colours I love the best are Barco - they are really strong powder ones, can be cut down with cornflour for dusting and the deeper colours you dip the paste in water and then into the powder it becomes like a really concentrated gel like colour which can also be used for colouring fondant.  PERFECT in royal icing too!

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:45am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Compared price?

http://www.beryls.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_196_138&products_id=6058

The colours I love the best are Barco - they are really strong powder ones, can be cut down with cornflour for dusting and the deeper colours you dip the paste in water and then into the powder it becomes like a really concentrated gel like colour which can also be used for colouring fondant.  PERFECT in royal icing too!

I haven't heard of Barco, I'm all excited to go looking now, haha. I have been really unhappy with the ones I am using now, they require so much fiddling to get them just right. My homemade ones work a lot better.

I order quite a bit from the store in the UK that I can't find in North America, so the postage for some extra petal dust is pretty minimal.

ApplegumPam Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 12:12pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Quote:

Compared price?

I haven't heard of Barco, I'm all excited to go looking now, haha. I have been really unhappy with the ones I am using now, they require so much fiddling to get them just right. My homemade ones work a lot better.

I order quite a bit from the store in the UK that I can't find in North America, so the postage for some extra petal dust is pretty minimal.

Here you go

http://www.sugarartcreations.com.au/sugarart-priceguide-colourpowders.htm

Check on the colouring chart - she even has a 'recipe' for Orchid Green colour  :)

Give Australia some of your hard earned cash!!  LOL    while you are on that site check out the cutters!  :)   Helen's flowers are fantastic and her cutters are great value!

Chellescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 15

I too mainly use Barco colours , Helen was my teacher so I learned with them. I agree her cutters are the best they are really strong and very well priced. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%