Baffled With This, Need Your Thoughts Please.

Decorating By RubinaD Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 3:58am by RubinaD

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 25

Hi everyone, I tried this new vanilla cake recipe, followed the recipe and here is the out product. They are in a 8 by 2 pan, both went into the oven at the same time and both came out of the oven at the same time. I used Wilton's baking strips on the outside, the one on the left (darker) was in the left side of the oven with a strip that has not been washed. the cake on the right was in the right side of the oven with a cake strip that I had washed previously. could this have made such a difference in cooking the two? any insight would be great. thank you.

24 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 25

i think it's more likely that your oven is hotter on one side than the other. even the lighter cake looks like it's darker on one side. 

many ovens have that problem. if you purchase an inexpensive oven thermometer you can figure it out by moving the thermometer around and recording the temps.

RubinaD Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 25

that is what I was thinking as well. what if I was to switch the two around halfway through baking, do you think they would be more even in colour by the end? or should I just monitor the left side more? thanks so much.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 25

either way would work., i think

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 25

ADid you use identical pans?

RubinaD Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 25

yes, the pans are the same,

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 25

A

Original message sent by RubinaD

yes, the pans are the same,

Well, that was the extent of my expertise! I'm stumped. I return the ball to you ellavanilla.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 25

I get that in my home oven. No matter what, the bottom shelf darkens the cake and the upper shelf is perfect. It's definitely uneven heat in your oven.

RubinaD Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 25

both cakes were in the middle of the oven side by side. yeah, I think it's a temperature issue.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 12:05am
post #10 of 25

My oven has a hot spot on the left side, too, and my cakes look exactly like yours. I compensate by rotating pans halfway through their bake time.

RubinaD Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 12:17am
post #11 of 25

after rotating them, do they come out perfectly fine then? or at least closer in colour, how about the texture of the cake no issue after opening the oven door in the middle of baking?

cakemom007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom007 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 12:36am
post #12 of 25

I would guess that your oven is hotter on the left rotating them half way threw would probably be the easiest fix, also if they are going to be decorated and covered up why dose it matter if they are different colors?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:25am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom007 

if they are going to be decorated and covered up why dose it matter if they are different colors?

They do taste different, one is over cooked...drier.

There's no problem opening the oven and moving the cakes while cooking if you're gentle. I have to take one pan out of the oven to rotate mine from shelf to shelf and that works fine.

MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:30am
post #14 of 25

I set all cake pans on a baking sheet. Then halfway through the bake time I gently turn the baking sheet around. My cakes come out fairly similar.

RubinaD Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:35am
post #15 of 25

well I guess having two different colours is not a big issue, but I do like to make them consistent.  I haven't cut into them yet to see if the texture of the cakes are different. we will see. thanks so much everyone.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:06am
post #16 of 25

Really easy trick to check for oven hot spots... cover a baking sheet in flat slices of white bread, stick them in on 350 until toasted, then check and see if they evenly toasted or if some are darker than others.

(What us lazy people do when we break our oven thermometers and don't want to go to the store :P)

MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:15am
post #17 of 25

When I worked at Maytag Appliances we used canned biscuits for testing ovens. The browning patterns showed even minor hot spots. But I would never do this at home or people would think I had no life. (Is this the right thread or am I lost in ForumLand?)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:17am
post #18 of 25

wrong thread Mimi!! So tell me as the Maytag lady, were you very lonely?

RubinaD Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:22am
post #19 of 25

AHa ha ha you guys are hillarious!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:23am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

When I worked at Maytag Appliances we used canned biscuits for testing ovens. The browning patterns showed even minor hot spots. But I would never do this at home or people would think I had no life. (Is this the right thread or am I lost in ForumLand?)

LOL! At least if you know you have no life, you can do something about it, lol. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

BAhahaha!

MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:26am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Oh. no, never lonely! I stayed home (with my friendly appliances) and baked cakes from scratch.  

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:30am
post #22 of 25

Well I am sure your appliances always worked perfectly and were always evenly browned..After al they were Maytags. I used to pretend my Maytag was broken just so that repairman would come visit me...what a HOTTIE!!! (kidding...come on now. Even I have standards!)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #23 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

Did you use identical pans?

as you wish:  unmatched pans did this same thing to me last week! I was surprised what a diff it made.

MimiFix Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:45am
post #24 of 25

Yup, talking about high standards, I would never purchase a Maytag Appliance. thumbsdown.gif

RubinaD Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:58am
post #25 of 25

AHi everyone, thanks for all the advice, as fior this first cake it actually tasted really good from both halves. Made the same recipie again tonight, switched them around and one of the halves was a complete dissaster. One was really really brown and the other a sick pastey colour. So frustrated, and to top it off, the stove is a maytag!!! Ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%