Cake Sizes?

Decorating By Pastrybaglady Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 1:27am by AZCouture

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 8

Does the cake size - 6", 8", etc include the frosting or is it just the cake? 

7 replies
RubinaD Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 2:31am
post #2 of 8

AJust the cake size

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, I know it was a dumb question, but I've got pans that are 7 1/2" measured from the bottom and 8 1/2" from the top.  With the frosting it would be about 9"...  So I was left wondering, "What size cake is this?".

shanter Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 8

You might want to save up your pennies to buy cake pans that have straight sides. Then it's much easier to make a cake with straight sides. My favorites are Magic Line, but they are not cheap.

And it wasn't a dumb question. :)

howsweet Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure I understand the question. Maybe this will help...or not.   A 6 in cake pan is 6 in, but after the cake cools, it shrinks. You put it on a 6 in cake board which is slightly larger than the cake at this point and then when you ice it, the cake will be 6 in again. Some people might add more icing (or fondant) and it will be a little bigger.

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 8

AThe cake shrinkage thing is a whole other issue I don't know how to account for! I do have a couple of sets of straight sided pans that are 5 1/2" and 9" so that seems straight forward enough, but usually when people talk about cakes they are in even numbers - 6, 8, 10. So that made me wonder if that was including the frosting. I assume they make slope sided pans just for ease of storage and cake removal. Thanks all for trying to help clarify for me.

shanter Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:03am
post #7 of 8

6, 8, 10, 12 are common sizes, but I also have 9-inch straight-side pans. I kind of like 6, 9, 12. A little squat but lots of room to put thingies on tops of the tiers.

AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I'm not sure I understand the question. Maybe this will help...or not.   A 6 in cake pan is 6 in, but after the cake cools, it shrinks. You put it on a 6 in cake board which is slightly larger than the cake at this point and then when you ice it, the cake will be 6 in again. Some people might add more icing (or fondant) and it will be a little bigger.

Original message sent by shanter

6, 8, 10, 12 are common sizes, but I also have 9-inch straight-side pans. I kind of like 6, 9, 12. A little squat but lots of room to put thingies on tops of the tiers.

Isn't it though? I can't believe how huge and vast a 6" tier looks. I know I'm crazy, but it just seems so gigantic. I almost always top a tiered cake cake with a 4", so maybe that's why. I'm sure if I never used those pans, a six inch would be perfectly normal looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%