Wedding Cake Disaster.

Decorating By BakerBee7468 Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 8:29pm by smittyditty

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:03am
post #61 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Yes, there are a lot of possibilities and I agree with you on that. The thing is I'm looking at it from a biased point of view. I'm approached by so many people who want lots of cake for little and my level of sympathy and tolerance for that is all used up. I really didn't mean to disagree so much.

We don't know what this bride did, but most brides are going to get at least 2-3 quotes and common sense dictates you look at pictures to see what their work looks like. The cake looks to me like the person had never stacked a 3 tier cake, so she either presented fake pictures, in which case she deserves everything she gets or the bride didn't look too closely. As in, she just wanted a low price and subconsciously expected a miracle.

Yes, she should have done what you said about getting  them a quicky cake from the uptown grocer. But it's even possible the baker may not have understood her cake wasn't going to hold up with no support and that she has a lack of taste - maybe she didn't think it was so bad, hard as that is to imagine!

You're in the UK, right? Could you possibly go over there and speak with these people and settle all this! Haha, totally just joking of course!  icon_biggrin.gif

My first impressions was exactly that she possibly showed them pictures of cakes that weren't hers. Or she had cakes that were nice but only 1 tier. If you have never made black fondant it would have turned out like the picture because it would be overworked and tear. So benefit of the doubt maybe her 1 tiers were better.

However she had to know it was that bad no matter what. She had a picture to reference, no excuse. It was awful.

If however this cake matched her lack of skills then the bride got everything she got. Its like asking my 3 year old to make you a RBI cake and then being mad about it.

I think it was wise to post the cake on ebay. Why? Because it showed that it was a universal opinion that the cake was awful. So when she takes her to court its more proof. SMART bang for your buck. Show humiliation and mass approval/sympathy means $$$$. Besides just because you and I feel awful doesn't mean this baker did. They could have been a *** to the bride. Thinking manipulation and bullying would win them silence. I have seen business run this way!

smittyditty Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:14am
post #62 of 146

Or the baker could have dropped the cake off and left the venue. Someone mentioned the article saying they didn't get a preview of the cake before the wedding. This would make sense here in the US the cakes are dropped off hours before the wedding. So if they didn't show up till after the reception started they wouldn't have seen the cake. Then what if they called the baker and she never answered her phone because she knew she was going to get chewed out.

That escalates the bride to Ebay.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:23pm
post #63 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Or the baker could have dropped the cake off and left the venue. Someone mentioned the article saying they didn't get a preview of the cake before the wedding. This would make sense here in the US the cakes are dropped off hours before the wedding. So if they didn't show up till after the reception started they wouldn't have seen the cake. Then what if they called the baker and she never answered her phone because she knew she was going to get chewed out.

That escalates the bride to Ebay.

That's kind of what I think, too. I really believe that if the baker had been in touch with anyone to apologize, grovel, refund, especially if s/he was in tears while doing it, the bride would not have escalated the situation to the extend she did. Posting it like that was very vindictive and I can't imagine doing that to someone you KNOW felt awful about what happened but I can imagine doing it to someone who dropped off a wreck with no word of apology, no refund, and was non-responsive to calls, texts, etc.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 10:49pm
post #64 of 146

Well, that's the thing - without the facts, we tend to only believe what we can imagine. But the truth is there are a lot of people out there doing crazy stuff we positively can't imagine. The bride saying on Ebay that she's seeing to it that the baker never, ever even makes a cake again, tells me that the bride 1) doesn't have a clear idea of what's possible in the real world 2) can only see her own side of the matter

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 10:56pm
post #65 of 146

I don't know when the wedding was in relation to the Ebay post, but one has to wonder who would choose to spend the early days of their marriage on this: "We have things in motion to prevent this person ever making a cake again and upsetting, or trying to rip off other unsuspecting customers."  She sounds mean and vindictive to me.

It's the "ever making a cake again" part that boggles my mind. I think she's up on a pretty high horse.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 10:57pm
post #66 of 146
Quote:

the truth is there are a lot of people out there doing crazy stuff we positively can't imagine

True story there!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:00am
post #67 of 146

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I don't know when the wedding was in relation to the Ebay post, but one has to wonder who would choose to spend the early days of their marriage on this: "We have things in motion to prevent this person ever making a cake again and upsetting, or trying to rip off other unsuspecting customers."  She sounds mean and vindictive to me.

It's the "ever making a cake again" part that boggles my mind. I think she's up on a pretty high horse.

True that!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:05am
post #68 of 146
Quote:

I don't know..call me crazy, but I thought it was hilarious! +1 for the bride to call out the sucky baker!! It has nothing to do with being vindictive, I think it has more to do with sparing other people the pain she was caused by this baker. But...I don't have a criminal mindset, so I have a hard time thinking the bride has put a hit out on the baker. Although...that cake could probably be used as cement shoes...dun-dun-DUN.

This following part isn't directed at howsweet, just my general musings about these situations, and I'm probably going to catch some flack for this but...

Here's the thing..not everyone should sell cakes to other people. PERIOD. Be humble enough to admit when something is above your skill level and quit "practicing and learning" on a PAID order. DON'T SELL THEM....not even at a "discounted" price. Learn on your own time, with your own money and at your own expense. Stop taking hard earned money from some naive person who believes that they actually can have a masterpiece for $60. Are they deluded -- yup. Are you worse because you are knowingly lying to them about your ability -- yup. I don't have a problem with public attention being brought upon someone who promised one thing and delivered quite the opposite. No, the customer isn't always right..but they're not ALWAYS wrong either. 

*steps off soapbox*

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:14am
post #69 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 
Although...that cake could probably be used as cement shoes...dun-dun-DUN. 

Hilarious!

This following part isn't directed at howsweet, just my general musings about these situations, and I'm probably going to catch some flack for this but...

I think HowSweet would agree with you....she just doesn't like how the bride handled it. Of course I can't speak for her....

smittyditty Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #70 of 146
Quote:

You never know maybe she is a really sweet bride who wanted to save others.(doubt it with the harley theme)  I mean if you think about it, this wedding cake was easy compared to a normal wedding cake. If the baker showed pictures of others work and took their money that is fraud. Maybe the bride is thinking of the other brides they may also have sold into the deal.  Yes the bride can "take steps to prevent her ever making a cake again"...well ok she can make sure she will think twice about it after a hefty $$$$$ fine at the local court.   Of course in all of this like all news there will be a flip side that is how news gets ya!

BatterUpCake Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:36am
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

You never know maybe she is a really sweet bride who wanted to save others.(doubt it with the harley theme) 

Ummmexcusemeee...but I ride a Harley. I hang out with nothing but HD riders and we are the most caring people you might ever meet. Just today I attended a benefit for a 7 year old that needs a wheel chair lift. I donated a gift certificate for a door prize. I have built cornhole boards for 3 others benefits for lukemia and other charities. We hold Breast Cancer rides and events every October. Most "bikers" would give the shirt off their backs. Many bike clubs are made up of nothing but veterans. And I have seen many "biker" weddings. The vast majority of motorcycle enthusiasts are great people. There is a reason clubs like Hell's Angel are called 1 percenters...because they make up about 1% of all riders. I do undertsand the misconceptions with all the BS on TV like Sons Of Anarchy...Also where did it say the wedding was HD themed? I missed that part.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 3:30am
post #72 of 146

AI will sympathize with the bride only if she was shown pictures of good quality cakes by the baker before she booked. Obviously we will never know, but if she didn't see any proof of the baker's work and was paying so little for the cake, then I think she is to blame just as the baker is. That is not to say I'm siding with the baker at all. I'm so tired of seeing these types of people...they don't really have great decorating skills, but their friends and family tell them they do, so they decide to go into business and charge next to nothing for really poorly decorated cakes. These people are popping up left right and centre all over Facebook and I'm so tired of it.

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 6:07am
post #73 of 146

ATh

Original message sent by AZCouture

I love her sense of humor! Maybe this will scare the bageebus out of some of these people who have been getting away with it for far too long! (please do NOT throw 'we all start somewhere at me, please just don't.) 

Baker makes a few cakes for mum and sister. Family and friends naturally say they're cuuuuuute, you should open shop! Baker takes them literally. Baker never does anything to advance her skills, or presentation, because hey! Mom and all of her friends keep saying they're awesome, cause what do they know, and why would they say they she needs to go to a class? That would be meaaaan!

So baker keeps pumping out things that just aren't really acceptable, because not only does she keep getting awesome feedback, she's charging literally nothing, and who wants to make a fuss over a few bucks? No, they just say "errrr, thanks" and they're done with it. No feedback there, unless it's mom and friends again with the predictable "amaaaaaazing! You could knock the socks off of Buddy!"

And the cycle continues.

So I guess I was wrong though, they wouldn't think it applies to them at all.

Just a bit of sarcasm people, with a little bit o' truth too.  

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:23am
post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I don't know..call me crazy, but I thought it was hilarious! +1 for the bride to call out the sucky baker!! It has nothing to do with being vindictive, I think it has more to do with sparing other people the pain she was caused by this baker. But...I don't have a criminal mindset, so I have a hard time thinking the bride has put a hit out on the baker. Although...that cake could probably be used as cement shoes...dun-dun-DUN.

Here's the thing..not everyone should sell cakes to other people. PERIOD. Be humble enough to admit when something is above your skill level and quit "practicing and learning" on a PAID order. DON'T SELL THEM....not even at a "discounted" price. Learn on your own time, with your own money and at your own expense. Stop taking hard earned money from some naive person who believes that they actually can have a masterpiece for $60. Are they deluded -- yup. Are you worse because you are knowingly lying to them about your ability -- yup. I don't have a problem with public attention being brought upon someone who promised one thing and delivered quite the opposite. No, the customer isn't always right..but they're not ALWAYS wrong either. 

*steps off soapbox*

*snork*

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:46am
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus 

I'm so tired of seeing these types of people...they don't really have great decorating skills, but their friends and family tell them they do, so they decide to go into business and charge next to nothing for really poorly decorated cakes. These people are popping up left right and centre all over Facebook and I'm so tired of it.

These are some of the people who come here screaming for HELP!!! ASAP!!!!  when an order is due, and take great offense if we have any constructive criticism.

Unfortunately, this thread is preaching to the choir. 

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:18pm
post #76 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLotus 
 I'm so tired of seeing these types of people...they don't really have great decorating skills, but their friends and family tell them they do, so they decide to go into business and charge next to nothing for really poorly decorated cakes. These people are popping up left right and centre all over Facebook and I'm so tired of it.

Facebook is the motherland of BS. "that cake is gorgeous" "You're so talented/beautiful/amazing" "such a beautiful baby!" etc etc. Seriously there are some straight up fibbers on fb. 

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 1:51pm
post #77 of 146

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

I love her sense of humor! Maybe this will scare the bageebus out of some of these people who have been getting away with it for far too long! (please do NOT throw 'we all start somewhere at me, please just don't.) 

Baker makes a few cakes for mum and sister. Family and friends naturally say they're cuuuuuute, you should open shop! Baker takes them literally. Baker never does anything to advance her skills, or presentation, because hey! Mom and all of her friends keep saying they're awesome, cause what do they know, and why would they say they she needs to go to a class? That would be meaaaan!

So baker keeps pumping out things that just aren't really acceptable, because not only does she keep getting awesome feedback, she's charging literally nothing, and who wants to make a fuss over a few bucks? No, they just say "errrr, thanks" and they're done with it. No feedback there, unless it's mom and friends again with the predictable "amaaaaaazing! You could knock the socks off of Buddy!"

And the cycle continues.

So I guess I was wrong though, they wouldn't think it applies to them at all.

Just a bit of sarcasm people, with a little bit o' truth too.  

My fiance's mom is a chef, she's worked as head chef for a very very pricey restaurant in my area. Every time I bake a cake, I'm terrified of what could be her response. I've asked her to be very honest with me. I don't get the "oooh that's so good." Ok, 85% of the time I do, but I also get critiqued. Today she's getting a mini cake, milk chocolate with vanilla buttercream, cherries and chocolate shavings on top. I asked my fiance if he thought she would like it (new recipe). His response "her standards are very high, she pays $40 for a regular cake," to which I responded "duh babe.... Good cakes don't come cheap!" Wish me luck on my cake review... She's on the mend from surgery too.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 9:47pm
post #78 of 146
Quote:

I'll just say as a Brit myself that us Brits have a very distinct sense of someone needing to pay when something goes wrong. Not that we don't have that here in the US, but it's different there. When someone does us wrong we take it to the top, and don't stop until there is a result. Here most people would just complain to the baker, ask for a refund and then maybe put something on Yelp about it. In the UK we're straight on to Trading Standards, Environmental Health, the local council, whatever it takes! It's just the way Brits are. We don't want to just get our own refund and move on, leaving the business free to rip someone else off, we usually don't even care about the money. It's the principle. 

just4fun26 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:50pm
post #79 of 146

AU

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

I'll just say as a Brit myself that us Brits have a very distinct sense of someone needing to pay when something goes wrong. Not that we don't have that here in the US, but it's different there. When someone does us wrong we take it to the top, and don't stop until there is a result. Here most people would just complain to the baker, ask for a refund and then maybe put something on Yelp about it. In the UK we're straight on to Trading Standards, Environmental Health, the local council, whatever it takes! It's just the way Brits are. We don't want to just get our own refund and move on, leaving the business free to rip someone else off, we usually don't even care about the money. It's the principle. 

Where's the "like button?" If I received a train wreck of a cake like that I could go on my honeymoon and come back and take care of business. Unfortunately, we do not have all the information here, did the baker just drop off the cake and leave? Did someone sign for said cake? Has the baker since offered a refund? Clearly the cake is/was outside the baker's ability, maybe she thought she could do it. I know I've thought I co

just4fun26 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:51pm
post #80 of 146

A**could pull one off and failed miserably, but it was never someone's wedding cake.

smittyditty Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:17pm
post #81 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Ummmexcusemeee...but I ride a Harley. I hang out with nothing but HD riders and we are the most caring people you might ever meet. Just today I attended a benefit for a 7 year old that needs a wheel chair lift. I donated a gift certificate for a door prize. I have built cornhole boards for 3 others benefits for lukemia and other charities. We hold Breast Cancer rides and events every October. Most "bikers" would give the shirt off their backs. Many bike clubs are made up of nothing but veterans. And I have seen many "biker" weddings. The vast majority of motorcycle enthusiasts are great people. There is a reason clubs like Hell's Angel are called 1 percenters...because they make up about 1% of all riders. I do undertsand the misconceptions with all the BS on TV like Sons Of Anarchy...Also where did it say the wedding was HD themed? I missed that part.

I meant no offense BatterUp merely they are rough and tough. If she was soft and sensitive I see a cake with flowers..lol..I know about the ride for kids with the stuffed animals. Really I was joking, I can see how it was taken and I'm sorry. The single lady I do know that rides is very tough. She also could be on one of those shows. She does do some nice things, but also things she should be locked up for. Like assult. lol

smittyditty Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #82 of 146

assault **

BatterUpCake Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:46pm
post #83 of 146

No problem....She gives the rest of us a bad name...but unfortunately it isn't those that do good that make the headlines and get noticed. They raised $12000 yesterday for that little boy...apparently they family needed a van as well.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:54pm
post #84 of 146

AI would just like to chime in to say that bikers are some of my favourite people. They tend to have a good sense of self that I think makes them able to understand others more clearly. Give me a bunch of bikers any day!

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:42am
post #85 of 146

Has anyone seen this article. It names the baker. Was wondering if this was a real article

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2013/08/18/big-day-ruined-by-wedding-cake-from-hell/

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:29am
post #86 of 146

A

Original message sent by Smallfrye

Has anyone seen this article. It names the baker. Was wondering if this was a real article

[URL=http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2013/08/18/big-day-ruined-by-wedding-cake-from-hell/]http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2013/08/18/big-day-ruined-by-wedding-cake-from-hell/[/URL]

Dang, can't find that person anywhere.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:37am
post #87 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Dang, can't find that person anywhere.

Neither can I, haha. Although I'm sure if I was in her shoes, the first thing I would have done was deleted my website, FB page, etc.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:50am
post #88 of 146

yes I'm sure she deleted any trace of her cake site/page days ago. That's too bad because I'd love to have seen her other work.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:06am
post #89 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Off topic:  Have you ever heard of Roar on the Shore.  Annual biker event here in Erie, PA.  I never saw so many bikes in one place. 

CakePrincessPE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePrincessPE Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:41am
post #90 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

yes I'm sure she deleted any trace of her cake site/page days ago. That's too bad because I'd love to have seen her other work.

'snort'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%