??? About Cake Washes

Decorating By Lenette Updated 18 Sep 2005 , 2:41am by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 6

I am thinking of using this for my cakes. I bake from scratch and while my cakes are moist I think that as I do more elaborate work and have to bake further in advance I may need the extra moisture. I also thought it may be a nice way to add an extra layer of flavor. Did any of that make since? I'm suffering from a lack of sleep. Anyway, is it equal parts sugar and water? How do you add the flavors? I've heard a spray bottle is the best way to use it. What works for those of you that use it? How long does this mixture keep? Do you refrigerate it? Thanks for the info!

5 replies
vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:58am
post #2 of 6

I've never heard of a cake wash. icon_confused.gif Do you mean applying a simple syrup? I would love to hear from others to see how it's done. and when it's done. I think it's used mostly for added moisture right?

Rose

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 1:05am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I am thinking of using this for my cakes. I bake from scratch and while my cakes are moist I think that as I do more elaborate work and have to bake further in advance I may need the extra moisture. I also thought it may be a nice way to add an extra layer of flavor. Did any of that make since? I'm suffering from a lack of sleep. Anyway, is it equal parts sugar and water? How do you add the flavors? I've heard a spray bottle is the best way to use it. What works for those of you that use it? How long does this mixture keep? Do you refrigerate it? Thanks for the info!

Lenette: I use it all the times in my cakes... Some people use equal parts of sugar and water, but for me it is too sweet. Instead, I use 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar and then add about 1/4 cup of liquor and 1 tablespoon of vanilla.

I can change the flavors too. Pineapple, lemon, orange, etc.

I use the brush method... It doesn't take me long because I just dunk it in the syrup and generously apply it to the cake.

I haven't refrigerate the syrup though. I don't know if you can or if you are supposed.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 1:33am
post #4 of 6

You can make a big batch of symple syrup..that's what you mean about "cake wash"....it's a one to one ratio.

One part sugar to one part water, remember that one cup of sugar probably weighs more than 8 ounces of water....(maybe that's why it's too sweet for MarialovesCakes..lol)

bring it to a light boil, turn off the fire, throw some lemon slices in the pot to keep the sugar from re-crystalizing.

you can store this "syrup" practically forever.

When we use it in school to brush over our cakes, we just take about 8 ounces symple syrup to 1 ounce of flavoring. Your flavoring can be anything you'd like it to be.

I have my OWN recipe, and I will share it with you if you like...

1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, bring to a slight boil, add 1 stick of butter...when that melts in, I take off the fire and add 1/2 a cup of Rum. I stir it around a little, let it cool before I use on my cakes.

I take my cake out of the oven, cool on the racks...I wash and dry my cake pans while my cake cools, then I line the pans with plastic wrap, put the cake back in and pour over about 1/2 a cup of syrup to the cake. I close up the plastic wrap over the cake and set it aside for a while..while I make and color my icing..that sort of while..lol

That is my signature cake...so far people that have eaten it ...love it.

You can leave out the rum and the butter if you want to just add a little more moisture to your cake.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

I have found the method that works the best for me is the watered down apricot glaze. I got this recipe from SqirrelleyCakes.
Bring 1 cup apricot preserves to a boil and strain.
Add 1 cup water and bring back to a boil.
Brush on your cake while still hot.
I let it sit for a while...then I wrap well and freeze. I also like to use the glaze after I bake before I decorate a cake. It adds a nice flavor and the cake stays very moist. I have experimented with this and no one can tell the cake has been frozen. I hope that helps.
traci icon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 2:41am
post #6 of 6

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%