soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:24pm
post #1 of

the cream cheese thread but honestly, I do not have time to read ALL 737 posts to find a good, delicious cream cheese to use for a very moist red velvet cake. It's for my daughter's top tier--6" wedding cake--but no nutsicon_wink.gif. CC, any suggestions??

16 replies
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:28pm
post #2 of

AMy recipe is one part butter, two parts cream cheese, four parts powdered sugar, and salt & vanilla to taste. Sometimes I use more or less sugar, depending on consistency I need. More sugar, more salt to offset all the sweet. Hope it helps.

IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:29pm
post #3 of

ABy weight.

as you wish Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:32pm
post #4 of

AReally? You don't want to spend hours combing the threads? ;) lol Here is a good one if you don't want to weight your ingredients: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Frosting-II/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=cream%20cheese%20frosting&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

Annie8 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:35pm
post #5 of

This is what I use.

 

1 stick unsalted butter

1 stick salted butter

1 large container whipped cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand and it comes in two sizes. The bigger size is the one I use, maybe 10.something ounces. Sorry, am at work and can't find it on their website.)

2-3 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt

 

Mix together, add one 2lb bag of powdered sugar. Slowly incorporate the sugar. If it is too dense, you can add a couple tablespoons of milk. Add the milk a little at a time because it is pretty easy to accidentally add too much.

 

I've used to to cover cakes and pipe on them, but it is softer than my normal buttercream.

icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:11pm
post #6 of

Hi, i have made cream icing all my life. But when i came upon carmijok's recipe, i haven,t looked back. LOVE IT!!! Please read this thread. She worked at a bakery and now this is all she uses for her cakes. She makes chocolate c/c also. I have made that too. DELICIOUS!!! hth

 

 

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/744864/unsure-about-cream-cheese-icing

icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:12pm
post #7 of

I forgot to say, google chocolate c/c icing by carmijok on cake central. It  will come up. She always answers p/m's also.

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:26pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

Really? You don't want to spend hours combing the threads? icon_wink.gif lol
Here is a good one if you don't want to weight your ingredients:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Frosting-II/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=cream%20cheese%20frosting&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

 

 

I know right!! Imagine being on-line at work!!shhh.gif

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:30pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

My recipe is one part butter, two parts cream cheese, four parts powdered sugar, and salt & vanilla to taste. Sometimes I use more or less sugar, depending on consistency I need. More sugar, more salt to offset all the sweet. Hope it helps.

 

yes it does..tks!

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:31pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie8 

This is what I use.

 

1 stick unsalted butter

1 stick salted butter

1 large container whipped cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand and it comes in two sizes. The bigger size is the one I use, maybe 10.something ounces. Sorry, am at work and can't find it on their website.)

2-3 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt

 

Mix together, add one 2lb bag of powdered sugar. Slowly incorporate the sugar. If it is too dense, you can add a couple tablespoons of milk. Add the milk a little at a time because it is pretty easy to accidentally add too much.

 

I've used to to cover cakes and pipe on them, but it is softer than my normal buttercream.

:-) I'm at work too..will look it up..tks!

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

Hi, i have made cream icing all my life. But when i came upon carmijok's recipe, i haven,t looked back. LOVE IT!!! Please read this thread. She worked at a bakery and now this is all she uses for her cakes. She makes chocolate c/c also. I have made that too. DELICIOUS!!! hth

 

 

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/744864/unsure-about-cream-cheese-icing

 

 

tks, will try it!

icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:34pm

I make a key lime cake with pineapple filling and use pure key lime ext. from olive nation and man it is so good. Strawberry too.

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 7:00pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

I make a key lime cake with pineapple filling and use pure key lime ext. from olive nation and man it is so good. Strawberry too.

 

 

 

 

Stop it!! You gotta give me the recipe!! I was gonna post that next 'cause it the 9" tier of the wedding cake!! Pleezzzzzzzzzzzicon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm

ok, the cake recipe is from trisha yearwoods foodnet work show . It is very moist. she is using a 9x13, but i do have good luck with making it into round layers. i torte the layers and then i make the pineapple filling using, 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, about 3/4 cup granualted sugar, 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice, 2 T flour or cornstarch. I then bring this to a slight boil on med-high heat and whisk for about 5 min. I will hold pot up off the eye if feels too hot, etc. let it cool good. Then as i said, make carmijok's c/c icing and add few drops of olive nation key lime ext. I t doesn,t take much. I taste it as i make it to get it the lime taste i want. It is delicious. I make it for my brother in law a lot. I make it for our cake club and all love it. You can weaken the c/c icing if you need to with milk or whipping cream, i use whipping cream . This c/c icing does crust and can use paper towel method of smoothing if you wish. The key lime cake recipe is all over the internet. I made key lime cake using another recipe and fell back on trishia's . if you need more info , don,t mind p/ming me. watch the layers as it is finishing baking. i usuall go a little longer that it says. i do bake on 325 when i bake it.

soldiernurse Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 12:49am

ATks icer101..can't wait to try it..love Tricia's recipes..if I get stuck, will pm you!

soldiernurse Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 1:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

ok, the cake recipe is from trisha yearwoods foodnet work show . It is very moist. she is using a 9x13, but i do have good luck with making it into round layers. i torte the layers and then i make the pineapple filling using, 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, about 3/4 cup granualted sugar, 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice, 2 T flour or cornstarch. I then bring this to a slight boil on med-high heat and whisk for about 5 min. I will hold pot up off the eye if feels too hot, etc. let it cool good. Then as i said, make carmijok's c/c icing and add few drops of olive nation key lime ext. I t doesn,t take much. I taste it as i make it to get it the lime taste i want. It is delicious. I make it for my brother in law a lot. I make it for our cake club and all love it. You can weaken the c/c icing if you need to with milk or whipping cream, i use whipping cream . This c/c icing does crust and can use paper towel method of smoothing if you wish. The key lime cake recipe is all over the internet. I made key lime cake using another recipe and fell back on trishia's . if you need more info , don,t mind p/ming me. watch the layers as it is finishing baking. i usuall go a little longer that it says. i do bake on 325 when i bake it.

 

 

tried it, love it!!...will use it for the 2nd tier of the wedding cake..icon_biggrin.gif

punkin90 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 1:53pm

I have had a lot of success with this recipe. You can pipe it. You use shortening with butter or you can use all shortening. I have used all shortening in hot weather and it holds up very well and taste great.

 

Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting

 

Use either 1/2 c shortening with 1/2 cup butter OR

                  1 c shortening

                  1- 8 oz cream cheese

                  1 tbs  vanilla

                  2 lbs confectioners sugar

                  1/2 tsp salt

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%