A Couple Questions From A Newbie....

Lounge By weluvpiggies Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm by Smckinney07

weluvpiggies Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 2

Hi!  I'm new here and I just love this site! 

First, when I make a comment on someone's cake I usually get a few comments emailed to me that are for the cake I commented on, not a comment on one of my cakes.  Why does this happen?

Secondly, I am a hobby baker and have never sold a cake and probably never will since I live in Wisconsin and my only aspiration is to someday work FOR a 'cake boss' when my kids are older.  I found this site looking for inspiration and cake photos.  So, my question is, is it ok to copy someone's cake or should they all  be completely original?  

Being so new I find it hard to come up with original ideas and I'm only baking for my family.  What are the 'rules' on this sort of thing?  As a newbie I don't want to step on any toes here on CC! 

As anyone can see, I did do a golf cake very similar to Jessmar's golf cake and on their cake I asked if it was ok to copy the cake in the comments before I made the cake.  I didn't hear from that person so I just did the cake for my husband's b-day, but I did give credit in my description!

thanks for the input! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
Smckinney07 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 2

AI don't know about receiving comments about other things. Usually when I comment it's in the forums, here, and I'll get a choice to subscribe. Just put site only, or not at all (something like that) I'm sure there are similar options. Or someone else will chime in.

Most of the designs have all been inspired by someone else, I don't know who originated the toybox cake so if I made one I would credit it to no one.

There's a different between copying and being inspired by someone's cake, its a fine line. I think it's thoughtful and shows character that you'd even ask ;)

As a general rule if you take a couple elements from one cake and a couple from another it's a good idea to give them credit, 'Inspired by blank and blank'. Everyone has their own unique style, and you'll get there eventually. I've asked someone if I can use their design as inspiration, no problem. But I didn't copy all the details, just the basic element. Make sense?

As for Disney characters and other copyright themes you'd have to get permission from the original designer or whoever holds the rights to legally copy that, although people do it all the time. There are other threads about this, you might want to look at closer, I know your not selling cakes but as I understand it, just displaying a cake on your Facebook page can get you in trouble or if you give it away as a gift it can get that person in trouble too.

I hope that helps. Welcome to CC

Quote by @%username% on %date%