Making Small Practice Wedding Cake Today, Have A Few Questions

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 5:27pm by BatterUpCake

klamb17 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a practice wedding cake today for my daughter. The cake recipe is on and is the wasc wedding cake. It calls for 2 boxes of 18oz cake mix. Well the boxes only come in 15oz and something now. My question is, I bought 3 boxes, can I just measure this cake mix on my scale to get a total of 36oz? for 2 18oz boxes? I am horrible at math so I can't calculate the rest of the recipe to a 15oz

I am going to fill a 10" round pan, I am sure I will have some left over. Is it ok to sit out while I bake my 10" first? or should I put it in the fridge? Sometimes I have noticed box cakes change a little if they sit out to long. I would put two pans together but I don't want to interupt the 10" baking just to take out a smaller pan. ?

Thanks! I have already make the strawberry filling and it is good!!

4 replies
ddaigle Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 5

With the reduced amounts in the boxes now, I get 2=10" and 1-6" with 2 boxes using the wasc recipe.    I can't answer about the batter sitting out

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 5

I just follow the recipe using the boxes as they are. I use DH brand so they are over 16 oz...but even when I have used the 15 oz box i do it as the recipe says. I am not able to notice a difference

soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

I just made a 16" WASC for the bottom tier of my daughter's wedding cake using two 15oz boxes--I did not notice a difference but this was my first WASC.

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

did you notice it was DELICIOUS?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%