Frosting Layered Over Filling On Sheet Cake?

Decorating By good aunt Updated 20 Aug 2013 , 2:47am by Sassyzan

good aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good aunt Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a mint & chocolate 9x13 cake for a shower.  I have a mint crunch filling I want to use with light mint frosting.  I'm starting to chicken out of torting the cake and don't want to double up with another layer.  So my question:  Has anyone had experience with covering a cake with a first layer of crunchy chocolate-y filling and then topping it with butter cream frosting?

5 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 12:50am
post #2 of 6

Personally, I would just go ahead and torte the cake. I have never put frosting on top of filling and it seems like a recipe for a hot mess. Especially if the icing will be white. If you really want to do it that way, experiment with it on a cake board or cupcake. 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #3 of 6

A

Original message sent by bct806

[B]it seems like a recipe for a hot mess. [/B]

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

I torte any cake i do. What ever shape or size.  I don,t make 2 layers0f 9x13 ,  unless the client is willing to pay for 2 layers.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #5 of 6

When I want to torte a cake I always freeze it then defrost - when it is not quite fully defrosted that is when I will cut it. As a home baker I haven't had much practice so I find that having the cake semi solid makes it so much easier. I also measure and mark my cuts with a ruler (that I use just in the kitchen) and a knife so that I have a line to follow, otherwise I run off course.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 2:47am
post #6 of 6

AIf you haven't already baked the cake, you can just bake it in 2 thinner layers and stack them instead of cutting in half with a knife.

I third the "hot mess" statement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%