Commercial Or Scratch Fillings

Decorating By SweetCuppie84 Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 6:42am by SweetCuppie84

SweetCuppie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCuppie84 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:11am
post #1 of 11

Hi there everyone! So, I have just started taking baking more seriously and have some really great scratch cakes under my belt. However, I'm really wondering about fillings. I've made some tasty scratch custard and fruit fillings, but I'm questioning if switching to a commercial product (like the fillings in the sleeves) would be something to try. I want to have a professional product that I can be proud of but at the same time quick. I'm wondering if these kind of shelf stable fillings are better for a commercial environment. Logistically I would think so. But I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks!

10 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:18am
post #2 of 11

AIt depends on if you are working under cottage food laws. In most places it is my understanding that you cannot sell any potentially hazardous foods like custards or certain cream cheese fillings. But I'm not sure

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:31am
post #3 of 11

I am here to tell you the sleeved fillings taste like crappy chemicals and give me headaches. I wouldn't use them if I had to, I would close first. 

SweetCuppie84 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:53am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I am here to tell you the sleeved fillings taste like crappy chemicals and give me headaches. I wouldn't use them if I had to, I would close first. 

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I want to stay away from anything tasting like chemicals. I figured it would because it's shelf stable. I'm also worried about refrigeration with custard/creme filled cakes.

Also, I've read IL Cottage Food Bill over and over and the only thing I can find is that it states that pastries with potentially hazardous fillings are a no-no and only high acid fruits for pies are okay. It says nothing about cakes so I think I'm in the clear for that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:59am
post #5 of 11

I don't think you can use custards and cremes at all, with a cottage food business. You can make fruit fillings that are okay for a time at room temp, like jams, and jellies. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:03am
post #6 of 11

I have only ever tried 2 sleeve fillings, one was a lemon the other was bavarian cream, they were both really really bad. Maybe different companies make better ones? They were just super sweet and had that strange aftertaste, sort of like diet pop has.

There are tons of home made shelf stable recipes, I would go with those.

SweetCuppie84 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:08am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I don't think you can use custards and cremes at all, with a cottage food business. You can make fruit fillings that are okay for a time at room temp, like jams, and jellies. 

This is all I can find pertaining to the custard and creme issue which you would think that if the pies can't be sold then cakes with these kinds of fillings would be void as well.

The following are potentially         hazardous and prohibited from production and sale by a           cottage food operation: pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie,         cheesecake, custard pies, crème pies, and pastries         with potentially hazardous fillings or toppings.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:21am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCuppie84 

This is all I can find pertaining to the custard and creme issue which you would think that if the pies can't be sold then cakes with these kinds of fillings would be void as well.

The following are potentially         hazardous and prohibited from production and sale by a           cottage food operation: pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie,         cheesecake, custard pies, crème pies, and pastries         with potentially hazardous fillings or toppings.

Cake and fillings/frostings would fall under the pastries bit.

SweetCuppie84 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:29am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

That's why I was confused because I don't consider a cake to be a pastry. I guess I will have to adapt and change.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:31am
post #10 of 11

AThat's what I was thinking. I was like what makes it ok for some buy not others.

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

Anyways, I think that scratch is the way to go for you. I bet that you could really get creative flavoring butter creams with jams or vanilla bean paste. This could be quick for you to maybe make a large batch of plain butter cream and reserve it to be flavored for fillings. Lorann oils also has a lot of interesting flavors that you can incorporate into butter cream.

SweetCuppie84 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:42am
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the ideas! I will be sad to let my custard filling go. It's so good! But I want to be safe and do things properly. That's what matters most!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%