Wilton Course I... 2Nd Week

Decorating By LadiiBugKakes Updated 16 Aug 2013 , 10:13pm by bsy bug

LadiiBugKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadiiBugKakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 15

AToday I had my second week taking Wilton course I. It was exciting. Never had so much fun in class. I was the odd ball of the class and did a fish cake while everybody else did the cupcake. I am so looking forward to next week class. Has anybody else enjoyed their courses? Have you continued to do cakes and started your own small business?

Hope to hear from my fellow cakers. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078881/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

14 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 2:32am
post #2 of 15

AI am also having a good time in the Wilton Classes. I was the oddball, too. I did lemons for my class 2 cake. I just finished course 2, and plan to start course 3 next month. I will say that to get the most out of the classes, I have done alot of my own research, then brought my questions to class.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 3:17am
post #3 of 15

A

Original message sent by mermaidcakery

I am also having a good time in the Wilton Classes. I was the oddball, too. I did lemons for my class 2 cake. I just finished course 2, and plan to start course 3 next month. I will say that to get the most out of the classes, I have done alot of my own research, then brought my questions to class.

That's not a bad idea. But I think I am the only one in class that's shy... I won't say much unless I need help. Wow, course two. Is it as much work like it is for course one?

helloIamSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helloIamSM Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 3:38am
post #4 of 15

that sounds fun.  I took a course at my local cake supply store and really liked it too

LadiiBugKakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:05am
post #5 of 15

A

Original message sent by helloIamSM

that sounds fun.  I took a course at my local cake supply store and really liked it too

Did you keep going or just stopped?

mermaidcakery Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:27am
post #6 of 15

ACourse 2 is less work, because you are really just learning flowers, and don't make a cake til the final class. But it is still alot of royal icing to make and bring. This was my final cake. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078905/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

LadiiBugKakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:39am
post #7 of 15

A[quote name="mermaidcakery" url="/t/762376/wilton-course-i-2nd-week#post_7430515"]Course 2 is less work, because you are really just learning flowers, and don't make a cake til the final class. But it is still alot of royal icing to make and bring. This was my final cake. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078905/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

That's awesome... Less work... I love your final cake... Still thinking of a theme for course 1 final project...

mermaidcakery Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:46am
post #8 of 15

AJust look back over your skills, and pick one or two you liked doing, like drop flowers or something. Then look at Wilton's site for ideas using those techniques, and try to do a spin off of those. I hated my final cake in course 1, but I just looked at it as more practice rather than a finished product. However, it would have come out better if I would have sketched it out first.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:48am
post #9 of 15

A

Original message sent by mermaidcakery

Just look back over your skills, and pick one or two you liked doing, like drop flowers or something. Then look at Wilton's site for ideas using those techniques, and try to do a spin off of those. I hated my final cake in course 1, but I just looked at it as more practice rather than a finished product. However, it would have come out better if I would have sketched it out first.

Oh okay... I will do that. Thanks for the tip...

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 15

Great cakes ladies.   I have taken all the courses years ago and now I teach the Courses.

I love the creativity of all my students.  Good luck with your future classes.   Practice and patience is your best friend.  Also the difference between a good cake and a great cake is attention to details.

Have fun and happy caking.

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 15

I took all 4 courses a year and a half ago.  Loved the courses, but found couse 3 and 4 to be my favorite.  I am a fairly quick study and now I sell to clients.  Good Luck and have a great time.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:25am
post #12 of 15

A

Original message sent by bsy bug

I took all 4 courses a year and a half ago.  Loved the courses, but found couse 3 and 4 to be my favorite.  I am a fairly quick study and now I sell to clients.  Good Luck and have a great time.

I am as well. I was thinking about skipping Course 2 and going straight to Course 3 & 4 but Then i realized that doing all courses i will know how to do it all. That's is what I would like to do. Any advice on how to get started.

bsy bug Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 15

I would take course two, it's good information to have in your toolbelt.  My best advise would be to practice, practice, practice as often as you can.  While I was working my way through all the courses, my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers got to sample an awful lot of cake.  While I was learning to decorate I was also perfecting my recipes.  For me, it just blossomed from there.  I was lucky enough to have a daytime job where I come in contact with a lot of people who got to sample my goodies.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 15

A

Original message sent by bsy bug

I would take course two, it's good information to have in your toolbelt.  My best advise would be to practice, practice, practice as often as you can.  While I was working my way through all the courses, my family, friends, neighbors and co-workers got to sample an awful lot of cake.  While I was learning to decorate I was also perfecting my recipes.  For me, it just blossomed from there.  I was lucky enough to have a daytime job where I come in contact with a lot of people who got to sample my goodies.

I do practice all the time. I live in a townhouse so when I bake I like to give a few neighbors samples as well as the maintenance men. They love me because that's their sweet for the day or week. Now with your recipes are they made from scratch yourself or from a book? I ask because I have a book but not sure on how everything will go. Luck you. I no longer can work because of a job related injury that resulted in nerve damage. But I will some how it get it out. Some how. Lol

bsy bug Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 15

As far as my recipes, they are a combination of totally from my head and cookbooks.  I love to read through cookbooks to get inspired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%