How Much Do You Charge For Delivery?

Business By doramoreno62 Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 5:13am by jason_kraft

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:38am
post #1 of 6

I am delivering a fully assembled 4 tier wedding cake about 44 miles from my home based business. I have never had to travel this far (although it really isn't far at all). DH says $1 per mile=$44. I say I'd feel more comfortable charging $75.

What would you charge?

5 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:55am
post #2 of 6

AI offer free delivery within the town where I live, but for anything out of town I charge gas mileage + a small amout for wear to vehicle + an hourly rate which is the same hourly rate I charge for decorating, applied for both getting there and returning home. I used to think that was overcharging, but those hours I spend driving are hours I am not able to be working on another cake.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

I charge $1.30 per mile, RT. This is a figure that ends up covering gas, wear and tear, and my time. I've only had one customer balk but their delivery fee added up to almost $150.00 and the cake itself was only $195 icon_smile.gif.

If your delivery is 44 miles away, shouldn't you be charging $88?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:17am
post #4 of 6

You are so right As you wish, I also deliver free in my town. But this is further than I have ever gone and I also did not want to overcharge.

Elcee I do feel more comfortable charging $88

Thanks cake friends for your help!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:52am
post #5 of 6

I charge $1 per mile round trip. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:13am
post #6 of 6

A$1/minute each way, based on the Google Maps estimate (which includes traffic).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%