Smash Cakes?

Business By Rosegin Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 12:08pm by as you wish

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 13

ADo most do 4" or 6" smash cakes? I want to offer complimentary smash cakes with first birthday cakes but I'm not sure what size is best. I always did 6" cakes for my kids but it does leave a lot of wasted cake.

12 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 13

AWhat about a jumbo cupcake?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 13

I would do 4" personally...as you said a lot gets wasted.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 13

I offer little 4" in a color that matches the tiered cake, which is the only way I offer them. Free with a tiered cake order (1st bday only)

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 13

AI prefer 4". Anything bigger than that just looks silly next to a widdle baby imo.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 13

All of our smash cakes here are 6" singles.   I give it free if the order is over $100.   If not, for $10 it will be simply decorated to match the main cake.   I have had some fancy schmancy 6" single smash cakes that ended up being $25 after all the bells 'n whistles were tallied up.   I have also done many 6" doubles for the child's professional 1st birthday photo. 

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:14am
post #7 of 13

AI plan to do a smash cake in coordinating colors with either the child's name or the number one in buttercream.

I think I'm going to do a two layer 4" cake.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:27am
post #8 of 13

I do one layer 6 inch smash in buttercream only. 

Strubbette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strubbette Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:40am
post #9 of 13

I also do a single layer 6"cake that is simply decorated. If I have any left over decorations from the main cake I will add them to the smash cake.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:25am
post #10 of 13

I typically throw in a 4 inch two layer cake when they spend $75+. It has to be in the same flavor as the larger cake. Today, I had a mother question the 4 in, saying it was too small and that she wanted a six inch. Oh and that the two layer was too small and that it should be taller than 2 inches. She ended up increasing the size of the big cake so I threw in the 6 in cake. She was one of those customers that couldn't make up her mind so I pretty much agreed to what she eventually wanted. 

We just did my niece's 1st birthday party. I made a standard size (4 layer) 6 in cake because I wanted the cake for my portfolio. It was clearly too much cake for her! I tried to explain that to the customer today but she said she wanted it to look good in pictures. Oh boy. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 11:47am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSugarLab 

I typically throw in a 4 inch two layer cake when they spend $75+. It has to be in the same flavor as the larger cake. Today, I had a mother question the 4 in, saying it was too small and that she wanted a six inch. Oh and that the two layer was too small and that it should be taller than 2 inches. She ended up increasing the size of the big cake so I threw in the 6 in cake. She was one of those customers that couldn't make up her mind so I pretty much agreed to what she eventually wanted. 

We just did my niece's 1st birthday party. I made a standard size (4 layer) 6 in cake because I wanted the cake for my portfolio. It was clearly too much cake for her! I tried to explain that to the customer today but she said she wanted it to look good in pictures. Oh boy. 

Hope you are getting paid in advance...sounds like she will be a PITA

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 13

For 1st birthdays only, I do a complimentary jumbo cupcake in the same flavor as the main cake and, depending on the theme of the big cake, toss in a decoration or two to match. Most people just see the word "complimentary" and are very happy. I haven't yet been asked for a smash cake for an older birthday or for something bigger than the jumbo cupcake. If I was, I would charge accordingly. It's easy enough to pinch some batter from the main cake and toss it in a cupcake pan. If I have to make more batter for a 6" cake and then fill & frost it, they are paying :)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:08pm
post #13 of 13

AI like 4" for a smash cake. Like others, I offer it for no charge with a first birthday cake. I don't advertise that though; I wait until all the details of the order are worked out and then I offer it. If they are a huge PITA already I don't bother!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%