Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 8:17pm by howsweet

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8
I need 2-8 mm pearls in white or oyster or a mix of both. GSA is out of the 5 mm and only has the white ones you're supposed to color yourself... 
First, is this the best price for them? I don't need a ton, or bulk, since if I used them that much, I would already have them in bulk. KWIM?
Also, If I get the plain white to color them, how do you get it to stay on? I have made my own fondant pearls and colored them, but I rolled them and colored them while they were warm and it stuck well, but these are dry, so how do I get it to stay on and not smudge when I pick them up? Steam? Vodka? Shortening? Confectioner's glaze? I don't want finger prints all over them! 
7 replies
kblickster Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

I make my own, dry them on paper towels and store them in containers by size.  I pull them out as needed and color them using a luster dust vodka mixture in a container with a lid.  Just swirl them around until coated.  Pour them out onto a paper towel to dry.  After they dry, you shouldn't see fingerprints.  I don't have much need for them in bulk either, but would love to do a whole tier in them.  I just love that look.

ttaunt Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 8

Do you hand roll each little pearl from fondant? Is there and easier way? I need a few hundred to decorate a wedding cake. I don't want to use those hard ones that break your teeth when you bite on them even though they are quite pretty.

mbranko24 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

AThere is a great tutorial, I think from Earline? I can't link from my phone but you can use piping tips to cut out the circles and then roll them.

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I have made my own in the past, from fondant way back when I used to practically work for free, lol. I warned the bride, my hands are clean in this mess, haha. I am not liable for broken teeth. There is a distinct pattern on the bottom and middle tiers, and the top is a sort of free form scallop design. There will be all sizes dragees.

Do you make a paste, or is it runny or what, when you use vodka? Why doesn't the luster vodka get soaked off on the towel? Am I over-thinking this? 

And anyone have a source for either all sizes plain or all sizes pearl? 

JWinslow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 8

Earlene hand made pearls:

Earlene Tutorial:

The pearls she makes are hard on the outside but soft on the inside.  I haven't ordered them but they look pretty nice and won't cause broken teeth.

JWinslow Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 8

Just realized I sent you two of the same links;

Premade soft pearls:

howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 8

Assuming they'll be attached to something I would use a mold - there are various types and sizes (link) that make a 6 inch string at once. I usually attach with tylose glue (on fondant)

Quote by @%username% on %date%