Character Cake With Fondant...can I Refrigerate It?

Decorating By lkritchey Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 5:10am by lkritchey

lkritchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #1 of 17

AI just finished my second character cake - an Avengers cake - and need to give it to my friend a few days early. It has MMF and Satin Ice with buttercream frosting (no other filling). Can I (or need to) refrigerate it in a home fridge? Thanks everyone! I want to make sure the cake lasts until the party! Currently it is in a box sealed with plastic wrap.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078158/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

16 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:27am
post #2 of 17

ATechnically it shouldn't need refrigerated, but how many days will it be before its served?

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:35am
post #3 of 17

AThe party is early Saturday morning...I hated doing it this early but she changed the party date and I'm leaving tomorrow on vacation. She agreed to take the risk (plus it is a gift that I'm not being paid for).

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:48am
post #4 of 17

I'd freeze it right now, and let her thaw it out in the fridge. That's just way too many days to be sitting out. :(

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:49am
post #5 of 17

AThere is a commercial freezer at our church...is there anything we should watch out for? Can it be frozen in the cardboard box?

gemazingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemazingcakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:57am
post #6 of 17

AAs long as you covered it in fondant within 24 hours of making the cake it will be fine on sat and just as fresh. I wouldn't put in the fridge either. :-)

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:59am
post #7 of 17

AIt was within 24 hours...I really hope it all works out! It's hard to put lots of work into a cake and be worried about the multiple variables of things that can go wrong!

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:00am
post #8 of 17

AI actually froze the cake overnight and covered it in fondant tonight (the day after).

gemazingcakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:19am
post #9 of 17

AI usually make my cakes mon/tues and cover them the next day for saturday delivery and ive not had any complaints about the taste/quality of cakes :)

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 9:43am
post #10 of 17

Should be perfect -( no perishables I hope)  I made my birthday cake  on Tuesday last week, its almost nine days and still good. it was  a chocolate cake though

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 17

AGreat :) and no perishables in mine either....I figured that wouldn't be a good idea with the timeline of the party!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 17

AI wouldn't leave it out that long. Either way it needs to be in a box.

angelmare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelmare Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 17

geamazingcakes - what do you cover them with? So, no refrigeration? What about with buttercream icing??

thanks!

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 17

ATurns out that they moved the party to Friday...so since I finished on Tuesday around midnight, it would be about 3-4 days

lkritchey Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 17

AIf I refrigerate it, do I refrigerate it directly in the box sealed with plastic wrap?

gemazingcakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:41am
post #16 of 17

A

Original message sent by angelmare

geamazingcakes - what do you cover them with? So, no refrigeration? What about with buttercream icing?? thanks!

I cover with buttercream and fondant the as long as I have done that in 24of making the cake it stats fresh. Ive been told for up to 2weeks but I havent left mine that long.

lkritchey Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:10am
post #17 of 17

ASo the party went great on Friday...she said that the cake was a hit! They loved the design AND the flavor. No complaints about freshness issues! I ended up having her store it in a cool but not refrigerated area - and stored it in a box sealed with plastic wrap (sealed completely with no gaps). So happy it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%