Ninja Turtle Cake - Help With Lid

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm by nicolethawk

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #1 of 5

hello everyone,

So a friend of mine wants a ninja turtle cake for her son's 4th birthday this weekend. She wants a round fondant cake with the 4 turtle heads sticking out ok easy enough BUT she wants the sewer lid kind of sitting on their heads as if they're peaking through the sewer.

So question I'm worried that gumpaste won't hold? I normally use fondant with tylose powder for firm things do you think it will work?

Should I cover a cake board on both sides with silver/black fondant? I'm worried about it peeling off on the underside?

Any ideas or tips would be so much appreciated!

Sara

examples:

http://www.***********.com/photo/ninja-turtle-cake-2

http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/27964

4 replies
Cricket1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricket1960 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of 5

AI would use a cake board covered in fondant,I would brush a thin layer of piping gel to the board to make it stick

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:17am
post #3 of 5

AThat's what I did. Covered a cake board in fondant. You could also do a thin rope like border around the edges.

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 3:32am
post #4 of 5

AI made a ninja turtle cake ( in my pic's) I used fondant with tylose and covered cake board fondant worked just fine, good luck and have fun!

nicolethawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolethawk Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 5

I made a cake last year just like what you're describing. The round cake board covered in fondant works perfect! I found that doing it this way wasn't too heavy for it to sit propped up on the turtle heads and it was very easy to mold the top to look like a sewer lid while it was still soft. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%