Ok..daughter Settled On Wedding Cake..now A Few More Questions, Need Help Please! :)

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 2:40am by klamb17

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 11

I posted a few days ago about making my daughter's wedding cake, which is my first wedding cake. We were going with fondant, but I saw this cake, and others made like it and we both feel in love with it. I have never made these kind of roses, icing roses I guess it's called...and honestly I would love to avoid fondant all together, so I am glad she loves it.

So anyway I wanted to ask all of you experienced bakers out there how would I go about doing this. I live in Va, it is hot and humid. The cake will be inside. I do have to transport it, prolly about 10-15 minutes travel time. I need a REALLY good icing to hold up. Right now I use the classic vanilla buttercream on this site that uses all butter no crisco. It does crust in the fridge. Should I do a crisco icing? ewh. I am thinking if I made the cake and put it in the fridge and let the whole cake "frost" then the travel time wouldn't hurt it much, esp with the blowing cold a/c.

Now, should I do each tier at a time? Bottom tier..do icing roses all the way up and around the edge, then add the next tier? and do the same, or put up all three tiers and go from there.

Are these roses pretty easy to learn fast?

Thanks so much for your help, all of you have been nice and give the best advice.

This cake is simple, but so elegant and very much a wedding "looking" cake. Love it.

10 replies
klamb17 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 11

oh and what kind of tip would be the best?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 11

AThe roses will be very easy to learn! I can not identify what exact tip that is..but I would go with a fairly large open star tip. I like Ateco brand.

For this cake I would stack the tiers (with supports of course...obviously) and then start making the roses from the bottom tier up. It's a beautiful cake! I really like it

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 11

AThere's a couple of excellent YouTube videos on how to do this. It's called the "rose swirl" technique. You can play around with the wording in the search on YouTube if that doesn't give you exactly what you are looking for

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, here is a video on this and i think I am baker has one on her site and so does several more. Tip 1m is normally used. hth

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=chr-greentree_ie&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=198484&p=how+to+pipe+buttercream+roses+on+top+and+sides+of+cake

icer101 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 11

Here is another using tip 2D. I love the tip 2D.So pretty. I do this alot on cupcakes

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=chr-greentree_ie&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=198484&p=how+to+pipe+buttercream+roses+on+top+and+sides+of+cake

icer101 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 11

Here is one using tip 2D . I use this tip for the same purpose for cupcakes.

http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.com/2012/08/rose-swirl-cake.html

ivenusca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivenusca Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

If possible, decorate the cake at the venue. Once you learn how to make rose swirls, it's really easy.  I would assemble the cake, and then pipe the roses on the whole thing.  

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 11

They are SUPER easy and I use a 1M tip

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the thread. Has anyone covered a heart shaped cake with the rosettes?

klamb17 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #11 of 11

AThanks for your help! I am going to practice this weekend. Her wedding is the 24th. I saw a video on YouTube of a heart cake made with roses. I didn't save the link, but just search for swirled roses on cake. I will post a pic of the finished cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%