How Do I Make Fondant/gumpaste "steel Wool" ??

Decorating By Jennifer204 Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 4:28am by pastrygirls

Jennifer204 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:09am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys,,,,does anyone have any ideas on how I can make something look like the steel wool pan cleaners....more the curly springy looking ones (if you know what I mean) not the soap pads!  Strange request I know but I need this for an upcoming cake that this item is relevant too!  Thanks in advance for any advice/tips.  Thanks.

7 replies
kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:59am
post #2 of 8

wow, that sounds like a toughie. I would roll fondant very thin, and then use a pizza cutter to cut very thin strips. wrap them around some dowels tightly, and when they are almost dry take them off and scrunch them together gently. then I would spray them with the silver edible paint you can get at walmart in the cake section.

JWinslow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:10am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

wow, that sounds like a toughie. I would roll fondant very thin, and then use a pizza cutter to cut very thin strips. wrap them around some dowels tightly, and when they are almost dry take them off and scrunch them together gently. then I would spray them with the silver edible paint you can get at walmart in the cake section.

The only other thing I can add is use a smaller dowels.  i think the standard cake dowels might be too large.  This is an interesting request- love to see pics when you get it finished.

Jennifer204 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 1:10am
post #4 of 8

Hi Guys....thanks so much for taking the time to reply!  I had thought of kinda doing something like  that, but it didn;t really work for me (or maybe I was doing it wrong).  So in the end I gave up on that idea.....however, for future reference, someone since then has suggested the best way would have been to make spun sugar, roll that into a little nest/circle type thing & spray with edible silver....quite interesting concept & possibly the best way to go...if you don;t mind making all the mess with the spun sugar!  May give it a try purely out of curiousity.  Thanks again guys.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 1:19am
post #5 of 8

AMy thoughts would be that it would dissolve the sugar but idk. Let me know how it works for you

FACSlady Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 1:21am
post #6 of 8

AMaybe use rice noodles? Search edible stamens under tutorials.

Dee16 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8

What about using edible Easter grass? - don't know what its made out of so not sure if it would hold up to coloring.

OR

Use a Kitchen Aid pasta attachment for linguini/fettuccini?

pastrygirls Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

What about a clay extruder and using the die with the smaller holes?  then just let it dry a bit and scrunch it up and spray silver.  Thats what I'd try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%