Dummy Wedding Cake

Decorating By Nita1856 Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 2:15pm by Nita1856

Nita1856 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nita1856 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:45am
post #1 of 10

AI have to do a dummy 4 tier wedding cake. I wanted to use buttercream frosting. I need to know how to stack the tiers? With the top tier edible of course ! Do I need to make the bottom tier real cake as well for the bride and groom to cut at the reception.??? PLEASE HELP THE WEDDING IS IN 2 WEEKS

9 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:55am
post #2 of 10

AIf your making 4 tiers, the top tier would probably be pretty small so it should be fine. You can use BC or chocolate to make the tiers stick together or run a dowel through the cake.

Nita1856 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:05am
post #3 of 10

AMaybe I can do a 16" 12" 8" dummy and a 6 inch actual cake? or would that look tacky? Is there any cake pans smaller than 6 inch? You can tell I am new at this :-(

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:08am
post #4 of 10

AOh yes, they go all the way to 1"! Most of my tiered cakes have a 4" or a 5" on top.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:22am
post #5 of 10

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Oh yes, they go all the way to 1"! Most of my tiered cakes have a 4" or a 5" on top.

Ditto. I like a smaller tier on top. What are they payin for? I wouldn't make the cake larger, that's extra fondant, extra rolling and decorating...most of the cost is in the decoration, I hope you charged accordingly.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:52am
post #6 of 10

AWe can't give you an opinion on the serving amounts or anything, because all you've told us is that it's 4 tiers. How many servings of cake do they need? Real cake?

Nita1856 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:40am
post #7 of 10

AThe bride has purchased sheet cakes from SAMS for the quests??? So I am doing the dummy cake for picture purposes. The cake will be smooth desigh with ribbon at the bottom of each tier. The bride will also buy the flowers and the ribbon. I will make her top tier for her to keep and is there any other parts of the cake that needs to be "real" cake? I don't think I am liking this dummy cake thing. Where would I purchase the smaller tier pans

I really appreciate you all

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:36am
post #8 of 10

I'd leave it all dummy - if she's happy to have cheapo cake for eating then I sure as heck would not be worrying about how they are going to 'cut' it ..... THAT's what you have to contend with when you skimp on the cake but still want the whole big 'show off' JUST for pics !!

Did she ask for the top tier to be for 'keeping' ?   I wouldn't put myself out for somebody like this - tell her to order extra from Sams and freeze it for her ANNIVERSARY!!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:38am
post #9 of 10

Make sure you double the price too !!      icon_razz.gif

Nita1856 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 10

AThanks, I don't know why it took me 3 years to utilize this site... YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST :-). <3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%