Holiday Shows

Business By Keliames Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 12:33am by sarahgale314

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:20am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone been a vendor at a craft show/expo doing cupcakes ect.?  I am considering this and don't even know where to start.  How many do you plan on having on hand? Do you sell in individually or in a box of 4...or both?  Any tips would be so helpful!!  TIA

Keli

2 replies
rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 3

Yup I do this once or twice a month.

Inventory is limited to what mom and I can carry on public transit: 4 large cloth bags with goodies and supplies, more if we can set up the night before.

Where we usually go, cake/cupcakes sell very poorly, so it's more cookies, loaves, tarts, etc. Shelf-stable items, we have no fridge available. At the art show where cupcakes fly off the table, that translates into 4-5 dozen cupcakes and 3 full sized cakes, plus some cookies.

YES sell them individually! bring napkins -- be classy, get them from the dollar store, NOT a roll of paper towel! :P I offer 6 cupcakes for the price of 5. If you do a box price, have some boxes handy.

In terms of flavors: vanilla and chocolate for sure, plus at least one nice flavor in the same price range. Anything with nuts or Top 8 allergens: LABEL IT WELL. Have something sugar-free for the &%#$ people who don't eat sweets.

and hopefully it goes well for you :) pls share how it goes!

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 12:33am
post #3 of 3

AFind out how many people are expected to attend and make 10% that amount. So, if 3000 people are expected, bring 300. I bring my cupcakes unfrosted, chocolate and vanilla, amd then I bring several frostings and toppers bagged, tipped, and ready in a small cooler. Then I frost the cupcakes and top them at the venue. In hot weather outdoor markets, I frost as they sell, keeping the frosting bags in the cooler to prevent melting. This also makes transportation less trouble, as you're not worried about fully frosted and decorated cupcakes tipping over. You can also frost to order this way, letting people have "custom" cupcakes! I brought chocolate and vanilla base cupcakes to my last fair, and then had whipped vanilla American buttercream, chocolate French buttercream, salted caramel French buttercream, peanut butter French buttercream, Oreo French buttercream, cream cheese frosting, and coconut Swiss meringue buttercream. Toppings I brought were rainbow sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, maraschino cherries, oreo cookies, mini reese's cups, and sea salt. I brought 500 cupcakes, sold them for $3 each, and sold out with an hour left before the fair was over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%