Experiment With Magic Line And Wilton Cake Pans

Lounge By liz at sugar Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 5:12am by maybenot

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 7

AI use Magic Line Pans and love them. I made dinner rolls today and baked half in a square Magic Line and half in a Wilton round. Look at the difference! One photo shows both tops (the squarer roll was in the ML) browned about the same. But the ML pan didn't brown the bottoms or sides at all. Since they are both aluminum (I think) - I thought that was a pretty wild difference.

Liz

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3077356/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3077357/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

6 replies
liz at sugar Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

The Wilton pan roll is on the left.  ML on the right.  And I preferred the ML roll :)  The Wilton roll became dry fast.

Liz

gettingstarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gettingstarted Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #3 of 7

AThat is such a difference. I'm going to need to try ML.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:06am
post #4 of 7

ACouldn't live without my Magic Line pans!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7

Basic Wilton pans are a thinner gauge of metal than are the Magic Line pans, so the results you got are to be expected.  The Basic Pans are sort of "beginner"/"hobbyist" pans, while the Decorator Preferred and Magic Line pans are more the top of the line varieties.

The Wilton Decorator Preferred pans are more expensive than the basic pans and are extremely similar to the Magic Line Pans.

liz at sugar Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:36am
post #6 of 7

I'm not sure which line this Wilton pan was from, but it seems to be the same gauge metal.  The difference that I saw was that the Wilton has a satin/flat finish, while the ML has a shiny aluminum finish.

Since I don't even like this pan for dinner rolls, it is off to Goodwill! :)

Liz

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:12am
post #7 of 7

I have both types of Wilton and also Magic Line pans. 

The heavier Wilton pans, for me, bake up the very same as the Magic Line pans, even though the Wilton Decorator Preferred pans aren't quite as highly polished as the Magic Line.  Because of this, I never mix the types of pans if I'm baking multiples at one time.  If I need to use one of my thinner weight Wilton pans, I bake it alone or with others of its kind.  At 325F and parchment on the bottom with pan grease on the sides, they bake up just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%