Refrigerating Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By sugarmagiccakes Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 6:51pm by sugarmagiccakes

sugarmagiccakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmagiccakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone, a while ago I had a cake problem and since joining cc I thought I would see if anyone could help. I made a normal round white sponge cake filled with buttercream and jam. I covered it in the usual thin layer of buttercream and then covered it with fondant. It was smoothed with a cake smoother and there were no air bubbles. 

I put it in the fridge because it was so hot and wanted to cool the cake. A couple of hours later i checked on it and noticed it was covered in condensation. I had to take it out and blot the moisture off with kitchen paper. I rescued it but have never put a fondant covered cake in the fridge again.

I know its ok to put a buttercream covered cake in the fridge, but what do i do when i need to chill a fondant covered cake in hot weather?

7 replies
CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, refrigerating fondant is a but no -no.  It turns to mush, I'm afraid.  Lucky you got it out when you did! AC is your only friend in this situation.

sugarmagiccakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for letting me know about this. I wont try putting them in the fridge again.

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 8

I actually refrigerate all of my fondant covered cakes and have not had a problem yet. Yes they do sweat when you take them out of the but this will dry. As long as you leave the fondant alone while it is drying it should not be a problem (this is just from my experience). I just made the taekwondo panda cake that is in my album and kept it in the refrigerator when I was not decorating it. I delivered the cake cold and it sat outside (it was probably 85 out) for a few hours coming to temperature and it did just fine. 

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 8

Hi Shannon, do the cakes even if taken back out of the fridge and let dry off not stay shiny and lose their mat effect? Even though I know some US decorators steam their cakes to get a shiny look!  Maybe it's a personal preference. I like the matt effect on fondant iced cake, personally.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

I refrigerate my fondant cakes all the time but take precautions.  Because humidity is the enemy here, I box my cakes and tape up all the edges (I saw how Ron Ben-Israel does this). When  I take them out, I leave them in the box at room temp for a min. of 1.5 hours for a small cake.  Any condensation goes to the box.  I have never had a problem.  I've done this with fully assembled cakes with gum paste flowers. 

Oh, I use masking or painter tape- whatever one I have.

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 8

Hi CakeGeekUK...once they are dry my cakes go back to being matte. The shiny appearance worried me at first but it goes away once the condensation dries. Sometimes my cake doesn't even sweat. It just all depends on how humid it actually is inside my house when I take it out. 

sugarmagiccakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great info guys! Im a lot wiser to this now, really appreciate your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%