Where Do You....

Baking By LadiiBugKakes Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 1:18am by LadiiBugKakes

LadiiBugKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadiiBugKakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 17

I am curious as to where you all keep your recipes. I have a lot of made from scratch recipes. What are some of the apps that you use? I would like to use my iPad 2 for keeping my recipes handy where if needed to print out I can. All comments are welcome. Thank you in advance my fellow cakers. icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 17

Just as I was saying on another thread, I use Evernote. You can download it as an app on your phone and also access it from your computer. It syncs both. So if you're at your computer and you're creating recipes on Evernote, you can access them from your phone too.No need for double entry. I love this app!

LadiiBugKakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmrsriley 

Just as I was saying on another thread, I use Evernote. You can download it as an app on your phone and also access it from your computer. It syncs both. So if you're at your computer and you're creating recipes on Evernote, you can access them from your phone too.No need for double entry. I love this app!

Okay... Wasn't sure. I have been putting mine in Evernote... Now question to you: Did you do the upgrade to be able to share your notebooks or no? I am still on the free version and not sure if upgrading is good or just a waste... Thank you for replying back to me.

buglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 17

I guess I am really old fashioned.  I have all mine in a journal type book. Hand written.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by buglady 

I guess I am really old fashioned.  I have all mine in a journal type book. Hand written.

There is nothing wrong with having it hand written. But are you not scared that the book will get wet? I would be horrified and lose my mind.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmrsriley 

I have been putting them in my Evernote account. Have you upgraded your account so that you would be able to share your notebooks. I am still using the free version because I am not sure if upgrading is any good to do. BTW, thank you for your response.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 17

AI have mine written out, each one in a plastic sleeve, in a small 3-ring binder.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 
I have mine written out, each one in a plastic sleeve, in a small 3-ring binder.

Cool, 3-ring binders, same with me

I type the recipe in my computer in bold 18 point type, so I can read it easily when I'm cooking, Even when  the book gets moved aside, and my reading glasses are not handy.

Save the recipe in the computer, so It can be changed/updated later as often happens.

Print out a copy. Put it in a plastic sleeve, Keep them in "D" style 3-ring binders.  I have 5 binders now..

But more importantly with the ease of digital cameras/computers/printers. I sometimes take photos of parts of the method/techniques in a recipe that I want to repeat successfully.  sometimes the pans, the tools used, or what a recipe looks like during the steps.  That way I don't have to keep inventing the wheel, or make the same stupid mistakes repeatedly. Often a simple photo complements, or  is superior to a written description.  The five minutes it takes me to photo something, is worth it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 17

using the plastic sleeves also permits you to add a 'sticky note' reminder to a recipe while your baking.

when your done, pull the sticky off, no harm done to your printed recipe, handy.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

I have mine written out, each one in a plastic sleeve, in a small 3-ring binder.

Same here. Old school. icon_biggrin.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 17

I have mine all hand written in a binder and typed out on google docs. I can get them on my computer, phone or tablet that way, so if one crashes, no problem.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 17

Two places: printed in large/bold type and laminated in a 3 ring binder, and in an app on my phone.

Liz

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 17

AWe also use a laminated binder for our three-dimensional recipe matrix (sizes, flavors, and allergy combinations) along with a master Excel file.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 17

AI too have a very large 3 ring binder. I don't use the plastic sleeves though. I stick whatever recipe I'm using in the front of the binder. I write/type them on card stock paper. I also have some on my iPad

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:34am
post #15 of 17

Mine are all over the place...some in the original cookbooks, some on my computer, some in binders. I have two big binders, one for savory and one for sweets, both of which are bursting. Within the binders I have some hand-written, some typed and printed, some torn from magazines.

Yuck, a hot mess. You all are inspiring me to get more organized.

LadiiBugKakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:14am
post #16 of 17

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I too have a very large 3 ring binder. I don't use the plastic sleeves though. I stick whatever recipe I'm using in the front of the binder. I write/type them on card stock paper. I also have some on my iPad

That's not bad... I never thought about printing them out on stock paper...

LadiiBugKakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #17 of 17

A

Original message sent by Elcee

Mine are all over the place...some in the original cookbooks, some on my computer, some in binders. I have two big binders, one for savory and one for sweets, both of which are bursting. Within the binders I have some hand-written, some typed and printed, some torn from magazines.

Yuck, a hot mess. You all are inspiring me to get more organized.

It's not a hot mess. You just needed us to help you want to organize your recipe book. How long you been saving recipes? I have a cake book to make them from scratch but its so old I am afraid the pages will rip more. So I been trying to write them all out which is a pain. Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%