Bulk Baking

Baking By annieSA Updated 12 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm by Stitches

annieSA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieSA Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 6

AHi everyone, I am very new here and need some help, my very small business just went a tad viral and now I am going to be supplying a local store who is looking for 80 cakes a week. Does any one have a recipe for baking in bulk, Vanilla and Chocolate cakes? Please help I am going insane.....

5 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 6

First, until you have a written contact for 80 cakes a week......don't believe it. Not that many stores sell 80 cakes a week, except a bakery. Are you supplying cakes to a bakery?

If everyone all of the sudden wants your product, you need to give them YOUR product. Not someone else's bulk volume cake recipe. If you can't handle making 80 cakes a week you need to set a limit and be a professional about it.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

AIf the wholesale customer has multiple locations 80 cakes per week might make sense.

There are a lot of things you need to have ready to go before you can accept this contract. You need a consistent recipe that can be made in bulk (some R&D might be required on your end), you need to work out a process for prep, production, storage, and delivery, and you need to make sure you are correctly licensed for wholesale. How much are you charging per cake, and what will the final retail price be?

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the above comments. If the store would like 80 of YOUR cakes someone else's recipe might not be what they want from you. You will need to work with the recipe you have and research how much of it is needed for 80 cakes. Have they tasted your cakes or have they just seen your cakes? If they haven't tasted your cakes but have seen them, then I can understand your inquiry a little better.

annieSA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieSA Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 6

ASo this is the story it's for a local retailer here is South Africa and they move about 200 cakes a week. I managed to supply them with 60 cakes last week and then again this week. But I am not happy with the quality. I have tried to adapt my recipe but not all the batches come out correct. My ovens can take 16 cakes at a time so there is a lot of wastage. I was hoping to get a tried and tested recipe for bulk baking.....thanks...

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 6

Giving you my recipe isn't going to help you! You need to fix what you have. If someone hands you a new recipe that isn't going to make your oven larger to bake more than 16 cakes at one time! Getting a new recipe is far more likely to cause you all kinds of new headaches, by far. The new recipe might not work, it might not be as good as what you're currently doing, the retailer might get mad at you for changing your recipe, etc...

There's always a reason why something you currently make, is now going wrong. Small recipes can be enlarged greatly! I do that all the time!! I can teach you how to do what your doing now better, if you want? If you tell me what's happening I can help you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%