Filtering Ideas

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 12 Aug 2013 , 4:25pm by therealmrsriley

smittyditty Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 4

Ok I need help. I have a filter problem. I start researching a cake and we will take the topic of lace. I then see about a hundred things I like. Then I get off topic and still want to save those ideas. Sometimes abandoning the original plan which then ends up with no plan. I need a filter!!! lol I'm like a squirrel I see shiny things and get distracted. How do you contain all your decorating ideas in an orderly and efficient way to come back to? My cake dummies just keep getting postponed due to lack of decision.

3 replies
therealmrsriley Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 4

That happens to me too! I have a couple different things I do. I save a lot of picture ideas in a folder on my computer. I save ideas to my favorites too.  I also downloaded Evernote which I love because I have it on my computer and my phone. So I can save ideas in either place and access the ideas in both places. I also have a list in Evernote of "Cakes to Try". As I do the dummy cakes, I just change the color font so I'll know I've already done that cake and can move on to other cakes on the list as time allows. Basically, I have all kinds of ideas all over the place!! :)

smittyditty Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 4

AExactly I was wondering about doing small sketches of the ideas since sometimes its from non cake things. Like clothes or objects. That way I could just match up different parts to see if I liked it. That however seemed not so cost effective. I've not heard of this Evernote? Ill look into that. I know people keep sketch books but they have to file the designs someway? Right? Then thing can cross Over like Art Deco and stripes. Stripes could go in its own folder and about 10 more! I'm open to any other ideas while I check out Evernote.

therealmrsriley Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4

Yes! Evernote is just a good place to keep notes. I'm such a note taking person! I use it for just about everything, grocery lists, cake client info, etc. Just think of it as an electronic notebook for stuff that you'd jot down on paper. If you download the app on your phone and use it on your computer, it'll synch the data and the info will be in both places. It's just nice to have for a person like me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%