Mm Fondant And Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 19 Sep 2005 , 1:21pm by Phoov

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 6

I made a 2 layer cake yesterday and I tried the MM fondant and the Rolled buttercream with each of the layers. I have to say that I like the MM fondant way more than the rolled buttercream. The buttercream was very soft and greasy although it does taste good. MM fondant is by far my favorite but I had to compare the two.

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 6

I love working with MMF too ... it's so easy to handle. I'm doing another wedding cake next Saturday and plan to cover it in MMF. I'm glad to know the info about the rolled buttercream... I had thought about using it but I think I'll just stick to the MMF instead icon_smile.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 6

OK....I'm just learning to use fondant, and am in Wilton Course III. Did my first fondant cake yesterday. Took it to a baby shower this am. One....I'm not wild about the flavor of the Wilton fondant....and two, it seemed to "fall off" the slice of cake when served. Is MMF tastier? Should I expect fondant to adhere to the cake like buttercream? Does rolled buttercream taste like reg. buttercream?

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 5:49am
post #4 of 6

Fondant doesn't stick to the cake. You need to 'glue' it on. You can use apricot glaze for this but I normally use a thin layer of buttercream.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

I've never tried fondant but I really liked the taste of MMF. It was really sweet and delicious

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

I used a think layer of buttercream under the fondant...and decorating gel at the base......

I'll try the MMF.......the fondant is so pretty...i just want it to taste as good as it looks.

Thanks for your input.....AND MS. BARITONE.....I play trumpet! icon_smile.gif Well, used to anyway...and my hubby plays trombone, and kids are all brass players. We used to "force" them to play brass ensemble pieces with their nerdy parents! LOL! Secretly, they liked it.

Made FIVE cakes in two days. I need a rest!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%