Edible Adhesive Is Showing Through Sugar Sheets

Decorating By tripleE Updated 11 Aug 2013 , 5:28am by tripleE

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 4

Help!  Got the wedding cake done last night, and the groom's mom dropped in this morning to take some pro shots.  When I turned the cake toward a large window, I noticed the Wilton Dab-N-Hold Edible Adhesive is showing through the black cut outs; not sure what the venue lighting will be like, so I feel like I need to rectify it!  I'll add a photo, but I don't think it shows the squiggles and swirls where I applied the adhesive.  

Any thoughts?  Rub it all with shortening?  This is so frustrating, as I got their product to adhere their product!!!!

3 replies
tripleE Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 4

Groom's mom just emailed me one of her photos--maybe it will show better.

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 4

I had the same problem except I did not use the edible adhesive. I went with the Wilton instructions and I believe it said to use piping gel. I am really sorry this happened. Maybe you could call Wilton although I don't know if they work on weekends. I googled and found their customer service number. They happen to have great customer service I think. When I explained what happened, they gave me a credit to use for a future purchase. They may know of something you can do to fix the problem. I haven't used the sugar sheets since because I am afraid of this happening again. I know this doesn't help much. Good Luck!

tripleE Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 5:28am
post #4 of 4

Thank you, punkin90!  It did help hearing that it wasn't just the adhesive I used--misery loves company?  Anyway, I tried Wilton.  They're only open on the weekdays.  I did a little experiment with some shortening.  Seems okay.  Think I'll just take some with me to the venue tomorrow.  If the lighting is okay, I'll just let it be.  Otherwise, I'll do the shortening trick.  Ugh--never again!  

Again, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%